Shim neck with way way high action?

arealken

I picked this old bass up cheap. The action is super high, at .51" at neck. It does taper down to normal at the nut. How could I shim this?
Cai5CKf.jpg

BPnB7tH.jpg

Shimming is certainly an option if the neck is removable, but what is the relief now?  The high strings could be caused by bad neck angle or by excessive relief (forward bow).

Triple Jim said:
Shimming is certainly an option if the neck is removable, but what is the relief now?  The high strings could be caused by bad neck angle or by excessive relief (forward bow).

Well I laid a straightedge on it, and neck is straight. Trussrod works and is cranked to the max right, so I guess it will need top be shimmed. Now hiow would I shim it? Just a flat shim under the neck, or the thick end of the tapered shim  towards the body or the nut? Thanks.

I guess the next question is how adjustable is the bridge?  Can it be adjusted to get the strings where they belong?

Triple Jim said:
I guess the next question is how adjustable is the bridge?  Can it be adjusted to get the strings where they belong?

The bridge is as low as it will go.

It seems like shimming is the way to go then.  Some guys like me use a strip of something appropriate at the heel end, between the screws and end of the neck.  Others use wooden wedges like Stu-Mac sells.

One of my guitars has a strip of plastic drum-wrap material.  I've seen guitars with strips of sandpaper that appear to have been assembled that way from the factory. 

You should probably take a close look at why the action got so high.  Maybe the body has a problem that let the neck move that much.

Then shim away sir! Only other thing to do would be to shave down bridge if it is wood, but shim is at least reversible. I would shim the whole pocket .

Back