Shell pink Strat

T89Rex

It'll probably be quite some time before anything happens with this, but I placed my order yesterday and I'm excited so I think it's time for a thread.

When I was 20 I put my uni course on hold and moved to France for a year. I took nothing but what I could fit in a suitcase, which obviously prevented me from taking a guitar with me, so when I arrived I bought the cheapest guitar I could find - a Squier Affinity Strat in shell pink that was half price because the shop was clearly having trouble moving a pink guitar.

That year turned out to be one of the best I've had. I was teaching English and the school put me up in a tiny studio flat with a shared bathroom and covered lunches and dinners at the school's cafeteria. I only worked 15 hours a week and, without having to cover rent or food, had more than enough money to entertain myself. My flat had no internet connection and I spent the year immersing myself in the culture, hanging around in bars and cafes, reading, writing, travelling and playing that shell pink Strat for all it was worth.

In June 2010, my contract ended and I gave the guitar to my girlfriend and went back to real life, but I still have a soft spot for pink Strats and the memories attached to them. So a little over ten years later, I figure it's time to build myself one.

Yesterday I ordered:

Roasted maple / roasted maple Stratocaster neck, SS6105 frets, 9.0" radius
Shell pink alder Stratocaster body
Mint green pickguard
Callaham narrow spaced hardtail bridge
Hipshot locking tuners

My original pickup plans haven't worked out so I'm looking for alternatives. Currently really liking the sound of the Fralin Vintage Hot set.

I'm hoping it'll look a little something like this:
8IDdriK.jpg

I love shell pink guitars, I;m a big fan of the PRS Grandma Pink colour. let one go once and regretted ever since.

Never seen the shell pink with mint before, but it does appear that mint pickguards go with everything!

First parts have arrived. Once I decided to go with the Fralins it ended up cheaper to get the prewired pickguard, which has the happy side-effect of removing a few opportunities for me to ruin things.

OJcIg9P.jpg

rick2 said:
Man, that sounds like a great job!

Better than my current one, that's for sure.

So I missed the UPS delivery on Friday. Made no such mistake today.

K4FGd7R.jpg

R9IvlaO.jpg

Well build day is tomorrow and I am equal parts excited and scared I'll ruin something.

Just a quick, probably simple, question -- when I dry fit everything it looks like the pickguard overhangs the neck pocket a bit. I'm not able to move it any further down because the second tone pot is right at the edge of the control cavity. I'm planning therefore just to file/sand down the pickguard a bit. Is that likely the right course of action or am I making a mistake somewhere. It's an Allparts pickguard, so there might be a compatibility issue.

If the overhang is at the neck end that is the area of the pickguard to adjust. Or if you are able to be a bit more patient order a pickguard from Warmoth and dispense with the problem.

Thanks. Ordering a Warmoth pickguard probably is the smartest answer but it's not really practical to have such a low value item shipped to Australia. By the time shipping and customs is added on it'd be 80-ish USD. I might just outsource the problem to the luthier who'll be doing the fretwork for me.

I forgot you were in the land down under. It would only make sense to order it with a bunch of other parts. The next Warmoth order I do will have a few odds and ends in it for a similar reason.

Perhaps you may be able to get a more standard pickguard for a Fender from a local source.

The luthier ended up taking a bit of wood out of the control cavity to give the pot some more room, so now the pickguard fits fine and the guitar's all done. I'm really enjoying the SRV profile so far and the pickups sound great. Very pleased with how everything's turned out!

M0xPj3f.jpg

Glad to hear it came together so well.

You know, that looks very nice.  :icon_thumright:

Thanks! I can't quite get the colours right on my phone's camera but the shell pink / mint green combo is everything I'd hoped it would be.

T89Rex said:
Thanks! I can't quite get the colours right on my phone's camera but the shell pink / mint green combo is everything I'd hoped it would be.
I have to say I wouldn't have thought of that combination but it just works. That was a good choice.

Back