Series/Parallel/Split Wiring Diagram

Cactus Jack

I have a dual humbucker guitar with 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3 way toggle switch. I'd like to add 2 on/on/on mini toggles to achieve series/parallel/splits for each pickup. However, I've run into a few conflicting diagrams, and I'm not confident which one is correct. I'm new to electronics so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

This looks correct to me, but I believe it will coil split to either the North or South of both coils rather than inner/outer. I could be wrong. Would that produce the best tone? I always thought you'd want to split to the inner or outer coils.
eFQu22W.png

From guitar electronics. The neck and bridge are wired differently, while every other diagram has them wired the same. This appears to split to the screw coil, which may be nice for more separation, and could be the reason for the difference.
hOY56yn.png

This one is from Seymour Duncan. The jumper is reverse of all the others so I'm not sure if this is correct. In fact, it's essentially the mirror image. It's either correct, and the others are wrong, or it's wrong.
ohvsHW5.png

This one confirms the first, but is the mirror image of the Duncan.
7T2VcoF.png

The last two diagrams being mirrors of each other does not matter they are electrically the same.

For splits, if there is a standard it is normally the two wires of the humbucker that are joined together that get shunted to the ground to form the split. Seymour Duncan colour codes would be red and white.

But you could split to the other coil if you wanted to.

Below is the full diagram of the first pic above. He has an "always on" switch wired, which I believe is the same thing as a blower switch. Is adding a blower switch really that easy? For just two more solder points seem like it's well worth the minimal time it will take to add it.

Does the diagram look correct? If so I think I'm going to give this a shot.

Thanks everyone for the quick response and clarification. Also, the PRail article linked above was very helpful. Below is the switch wiring from the article. With your help, this now appears to be a really simple job. Thank you!

MUDtgsv.jpg

The diagram now posted is essentially the same. By the way, the Seymour Duncan articles are by a member of this forum called JumbleJumble and yes his diagrams will be correct.

The diagram of the HSH set up with series/parallel/split switches are by a forum member EricZ. Both of them I have not seen on the forum in some time.

The "always-on" switch in EricZ's diagram is simply to be able to switch on or off the bridge pickup regardless of the selector switch position. This could give you, for example, neck and bridge not normally achievable with a standard 5-way selector switch. This is not a blower switch or similar.

A blower switch is used to send the direct signal of for example a bridge humbucker pickup direct to the output jack bypassing all of the volume, tone and selector switches regardless of how they are set.

To save me writing it out again you can read this article by myself and how to do it.

https://stratamania.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/4pdt-blower-switch-for-guitar/

Whoops, posted the wrong pic. It's updated now, and is Eric's diagram.

Thanks for your link. I'll check it out.

That will not work.

You need the black wire from the bottom left of the blower switch to go to the bottom right of the Series/Parallel/Split switch. Also from the bottom right of the Series/Parallel/Split switch you need a black wire which takes the hot signal of the pickup to the selector or toggle switch which in turn then needs and output from the selector switch to the input of your volume control.

stratamania said:
That will not work.

You need the black wire from the bottom left of the blower switch to go to the bottom right of the Series/Parallel/Split switch. Also from the bottom right of the Series/Parallel/Split switch you need a black wire which takes the hot signal of the pickup to the selector or toggle switch which in turn then needs and output from the selector switch to the input of your volume control.

Thanks for insight and guidance. I believe the diagram below captures your direction.

zaMgacl.jpg

Cactus Jack said:
Thanks for insight and guidance. I believe the diagram below captures your direction.

zaMgacl.jpg

Out of the two that you posted this is the one you need.

I am assuming also the ground to the output jack and other circuitry have been omitted for clarity of the switching.

Thanks for all the guidance. I really appreciate you making time to help me out.

You are correct about the grounds. If I have time this weekend I’ll attempt to buildout the entire diagram.

Thinking about the blower switch a bit. Will a blower switch work with 50's style wiring where the volume and tone pots are connected via the capacitor? To get the bypass does it need to be modern wiring where the cap is on the tone only? Just trying to think through the signal flow and not sure if the cap would divert the signal to the tone pot.

It would make no difference to 50s style wiring.

Bridge pickup ---> Blower switch ---> Direct out to output jack.
                                                |
                                                |----> or + other pickups and via whatever wiring you want ---> output jack.

Back