SD 59's or Alnico Pro 2's for Chambered and Semi-Hollow?

Ilsenhab

Trying to narrow it down between these two sets of pickups, your advice and wisdom is appreciated.

I like the idea of warmth and clarity of the Alnico Pro 2 (Slash model for more bite), but maybe the A5 magnet in the 59's is better for chambered and semi-hollow guitars?

Potted is a must to reduce squealing at higher volumes and gains. Don't mind if both guitars below have the same pickups (highlight the natural tonal differences).

Guitars:
1. Warmoth 'Strat' - Chambered walnut body, solid rosewood neck and fingerboard SS frets. Tung oil finish on body and neck. JB bridge (meh), 59 neck (sounds good).

2. Warmoth 'L5S' Semi Hollow, mahogany body, rosewood neck, ebony fingerboard, SS frets. Trans burst on body, tung oil on neck. Currently has a SD Jazz neck and Custom Custom Bridge - not loving the sterile sound of the neck, and middy honk of the bridge.

Amps:
1. Fender Deluxe Reverb
2. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (cannabis rex speaker, so warmer than stock)

Styles - Mostly mild to medium overdriven tones, edge of breakup cleans, occasional hard rock - 70-00's rock, funk, R&B, some jazz, some fusion..

What say ye?

First, view both of those as chambered. The W L5 is not a true semi hollow body in sense of construction.  That’s a major difference in susceptible aspect of feedback.

So go with the tone of the pup you like more.

Even a true semi hollow ala 335 (a top, back and 2 sides with a center block all glued together), isn’t that bad on feedback.  Clapton, Lifeson, etc all played them at LOUD levels and didn’t have issues.

Starting with true hollows ala 330, different story. Having one, I can tell you if your Db is more than say 95 at your playing location (in that I mean measured at where you are standing), then you need to start paying attention.

I would not say the Alnico Pro 2s have a lot of clarity.

Have you tried 250k pot for the JB? That is how Seymour Duncan himself uses it. Also what Andy Timmons used to use.

If you don't like the mid of the custom custom then I would stay away from alnico 2 because it has a mid hump. Alnico 5 has a bit of scooped mids.

Meant to say ... If I’m going with sd’s then in the true spirit of the uwb I’d recommend Duncan distortions which  don't, to me, seem to color the sound, and scream at high volume.  They let plenty of harmonics thru If that sounds interesting to you.  I use them for classic rock and country.

rick2 said:
If I’m going with sd’s then in the true spirit of the uwb I’d recommend Duncan distortions which are clean, have a high head room, and scream at high volume.  They let plenty of harmonics thru If that sounds interesting to you.  I use them for classic rock and country.

All pickups are clean and head room is on the amp side of things. Higher output, less head room.

Back