Screamin Deal '54 P Bass body

This build centered around an impulse buy.  A $75 unfinished bass body.  May have been $65.  Don't remember, but I pounced.

I kept it cheap and did the finish myself.  Toyed with the idea of Seafoam Green in a rattle can but settled on a $5 3oz can of antique white stain.  Splurged on a birdseye neck with super thin profile and blocks, and probably voided the warranty by doing a wax finish on it.  Drilled my own string thru holes in bridge and body.

Not pictured, I added a Hipshot string retainer that was backordered at the time.

The bridge pickup was cause for concern on this one.  The Darkstar pickup is hard to come by, and I wasn't too keen on spending $300 for one pickup on a bass project I was trying to do on the cheap. Before I clicked the "order" button I got the Darkstar measurement off of the main site.  Sure enough, a Music Man pickup would cover that hole with some routing, which I had done before.  When it arrived, I discovered the bridge pickup route is different than the specs on the site.  Customer service offered a few suggestions how to rectify it, but I was more than happy with the lightweight (4 lbs.!) body I purchased.  The thrill of the hunt of finding a cheap pickup to fit the hole despite the website discrepancy was driving that.  Found one for 1/3 the price.  Voila. 

Back