Satin transparent finishes

kdas3

Hi everyone,

Just recently put in an order for a swamp ash tele body in satin Mary Kay white. But now I'm a bit worried because although I do like the idea of satin Mary Kay white, I haven't seen many examples of Warmoth satin transparent finishes!

Does anyone have any examples of Warmoth bodys with satin transparent finishes? Not necessary Mary Kay white.

I did my latest Warmoth Tele build in satin transparent red over mahogany.  I love it - the quality of the satin finish is better than I had expected and I wouldn't hesitate to go satin again.

Attachments

• PXL_20211029_165932253.jpg
    PXL_20211029_165932253.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 165
  • PXL_20211029_165904396.jpg
    PXL_20211029_165904396.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 171
ChronoTrigger77 said:
I did my latest Warmoth Tele build in satin transparent red over mahogany.  I love it - the quality of the satin finish is better than I had expected and I wouldn't hesitate to go satin again.
That looks great

I had the same question not long ago. I ordered a split jazz master in Mary Kay on swamp Ash . After I ordered I asked a few people what they thought . One said they saw a white satin warmoth and it looked like a bar of Ivory soap. Hearing that I could picture it and so glad I ordered gloss , I don't want to play bar of soap!
  Trigger 77's body looks great and classic . The guitars I've had in satin have always been from the lower end Gibson's or a few custom shop 0nes . IMHO I would call warmoth and have them do gloss just because it's Mary K

ChronoTrigger77 said:

Wow! That is super-sharp! Makes me wanna build something just to get that finish <grin>

The bursts in satin are some of my favorite finishes ever. Black-Red-Yellow being my personal absolute favorite. There's just something classy looking about it, IMO.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32975.0

My Satin Transparent Yellow Swamp Ash Strat is my favorite Strat, looks great and feels even nicer (that smooth Satin touch!).

I'm not sure what kind of material it is, but the satin finishes they do are superior to any I've seen. Very durable, doesn't take marks easily, and doesn't fingerprint. For those who've always wanted a black guitar but can't tolerate the constant state of messiness they seem to be in, this works great.

Wow chronotrigger77's Satin Transparent Red tele looks great! And I agree, all the bursts in satin look great. This is why I originally went for Mary Kay White in satin...!

In fact I saw Schneidas' Satin Transparent Yellow Strat which looked damn good. Actually, I was considering Satin Transparent Yellow for my Tele body but ended up deciding on Mary Kay White.

Unfortunately I ended up chickening out and contacting Warmoth to amend the Mary Kay White finish from satin to gloss. I think if it were any other burst or transparent colour I would have been okay with satin. But given how unpredictable Mary Kay White is, and given that I haven't actually seen a Mary Kay White finish in satin, I thought it was safest to go gloss. Also, I was bit worried that Mary Kay white might be a bit hmm...underwhelming (for lack there of better word) in satin, thereby creating this 'bar of soap' effect as Mx481james eloquently put it haha. But maybe it would have been great. Alas, I will always be wondering 'what could have been'.

Also, I added a gloss black pickguard on top of the matte black one I already ordered so I can experiment and choose either in the end!

Since we're already doing this, please continue to post your guitars with satin transparent finishes!

I think it was the right decision. I found a satin Mary Kay on swamp Ash but not warmoth online . It looked bad and lifeless to me . Really nothing like the red transparent satin.. I'm sorry I have trouble posting pics on here

Here is my Velocity in transparent red. I really do like it, and I don't stick to it when playing.

Attachments

• IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 121
Back