Sansamp RBI

Old Rig
BassGear01.jpg

Carvin BX 500.  Absolutely nothing wrong with and very versatile unit.  It's been a gigging trooper playing all over North Texas and holding it's own in IL, LA, and KS.  Trouble is, according to the Carvin forum, I have the only one that hasn't blown up.  It's like finding out you've been driving a Pinto.  The one other person I know with one sent it back due to going into protect mode.  Apparently the power supply is very finicky, designed to play in pristine, sterile labratory conditions.  Problem is, no one gigs in any of those.  I will not be selling and keeping as a backup.

The sonic Maximizer rarely gets used, and no room for it in the rack unit with the new gear.  Back in the box and the waiting game begins.

New Rig
Tech 21 Sansamp and Carvin HD 1500 poweramp.

SansampRBI.jpg

CarvinHD1500.jpg

BassGear04.jpg

I don't know what to think of it yet.  For all intents and purposes, it is a modeling preamp, or could be.  The owner's manual came with a list of suggested presets such as Fat Tube, SVT, Bass Man, etc., etc.  The real test would be if the band noticed - you know the drill, you get a new gamechanging piece of gear and you still sound like you to everyone else.  Well, the drummer and I did an early load in into an empty bar and proceeded to recreate the audio pleasantries of a local GC.  Low and behold, with heavy mid-scooping (usually muddy for a room), he replied it sounded clear, full, and clacky - I can do without the clack.  But first impressions are pleasant, and the thing is very responsive.  Small amounts of tweaking lead to big changes, especially with the presence and blend controls.

The poweramp arrived a few days later than the preamp, so my initial living room noodling was done using the power section (return on the FX loop) of my old amp.  The new power amp is 1500 watts bridged @ 4 ohms, 750 watts per side at 2 ohms, 450 watts @ 4 ohms and so on.  My 2 cabs are each 4 ohms and 500 watts, so this 1500 watt amp is actually a 900 watt amp for my purposes.  LOUD with headroom to boot, that's for sure.

The old rig had a mute switch which I miss on this one for tuning.  No problem, just treat the rackmount tuner like an effect and run it into the FX loop of the Sansamp utilizing the mute switch on the tuner.

Something worth noting, both the poweramp and the Sansamp were purchased new.  The Sansamp was $319 shipped.  The poweramp was $319 plus $20 for shipping.  Where is anyone going to find a brand new 1500 watt bass head for $660?

Looks like a cool rig.  Regarding the "does the band notice" thing - I would not put much stock in that.  I've had rehearsals where I've debuted a beautiful Tonar finished telecaster and NO ONE NOTICED  :)  If you like it that's all that matters.

Oh - and my bass player uses a sans amp all the time.  works great.  :headbang:

Oh, I know.  I wasn't implying that things are done for the benefit of other's recognition, just that it always sounds like the same person.  In other words, it ain't the gear.  My guitar player has an AC 30 and a Fender twin.  Hearing him play through both of them, they both sound like him.  And amp shopping with him, they all sound the same to me with him playing them.  With, my new piece of gear, I didn't get that from the drummer.

I told my bassist to build that rig. Instead he bought a POD, a Fender Rumble, and a Mexi P-bass.  :doh:

Back