Rosewood neck on a Squier Jazz

AutoBat

What started life as a Squier 60's Classic Vibe Jazz Bass is now a halfmoth!
For a budget bass it was fantastic, except classic means it's got those tiny frets that I'm not great at dealing with so plenty of buzzes happen when I manhandle it like it's one of my other guitars. Also the side dots are half on the fretboard, half on the maple.

The still original for now bits:
Poplar body (I think, it's extremely light)
Olympic White finish
60's Jazz pickups/wiring/knobs
Gotoh brass saddle (sure looks like one, but isn't stamped on the top) bridge

New bits:
Right handed Super Bass Jazz replacement
Indian Rosewood/Indian Rosewood
Slim Taper profile
SS6105 frets
Schaller BML tuners (4 screws to drill for each one! I'm fairly certain it'd be solid if half of them fell out)
Graphtech Tusq XL Black nut
Hipshot 3 string retainer
Shiny metal not-gold decal from Black Bart! (from Mr. Pinter)
20 frets, 10" Radius, 34" scale length
Standard Steel rods
No finish

Wmm1Y5o.jpg

o4XTyTg.jpg

ZdbVaGf.jpg

BYGzfT4.jpg

YuhS5lB.jpg

It's strung up but not tuned or adjusted. Saddles definitely need adjusted (I remember doing the same thing with my first W neck for my strat).
I put it all together then remembered I hadn't adjusted the truss rod yet, gave it a reasonable amount of turns, lubed the screws and put her back on.
Hopefully I won't need to tinker with the truss rod much since it's heel-based instead of at the nut end.

I'll have nicer pictures up later. It's 5am here now.

I guess I have a Squier Jazz Maple/Rosewood neck up for grabs now if someone wanted to make an offer. (will come with everything seen in the picture)

AutoBat said:
Mayfly said:
That looks nice.  Goes well with the cat too  :)
Quality Control Agent, he has to inspect any new hardware.
I have a whole committee of those... a small dog, a large dog to control the small dog, and a cat to control everyone..  :laughing7:

That's a really sharp bass! Playability aside, that Rosewood just looks better. Besides, half-moth is fine, particularly if it's the neck that's the Warmoth half. I'm a firm believer in quality necks and precise setups as that's what you actually play. The body is basically a mounting platform for the bridge/pickups/controls, so you can forgive a multitude of sins there.

I went over-ambitious with my pre-tensioning of the truss rod, so I got to take off the neck & retune an additional time.
Good news is that after adjusting trussrod & bridge I think it's locked in. It plays great, it sounds great, it looks great.

Cagey, I agree on the stock body, upgraded neck halfmoth. My 92/93 Strat still has it's original body and I have no reason to ever change it (It's about the only part original on that guitar)

After playing it several days, it's just right.
Sustain for days, much louder acoustically.
I think the first neck having the blemish was a blessing in disguise.

I must say again that drilling 18 holes into a brand new neck is a surefire way to get nervous. Hand crank drill was the proper choice for this one.
I'm not certain if there's a 100% way to get the BML tuners perfectly aligned, but one is slightly off from the others. Looking at the original Fender neck revealed exactly the same thing from their factory, so I'm not worried about it.
Line6Man & HatchiKid had the right idea with the Hipshot 3 string retainer. I think it looks great and it's sure to hold them securely in the slots.

Back