Roasted Maple Neck oil and wax

Bikertrash2001

I'll have to admit, I'm a little bit of a Ernie Ball MM fanboy. I've owned one in the past and have played several of their roasted neck guitars. To me, they kind of set my expectations of what finished roasted neck would be like.
I got my Warmoth roasted with 6100 stainless frets and polished up the frets and the wood. I might have been a little psycho with it and took the neck all the way to 4000 grit polishing paper. Between the stainless frets and the polished wood, it's slicker than snot on a frozen lake.
I wonder though, what is EBMM's oil and wax that they use on their necks? I can't seem to find a solid answer. The closest thing I have found is somebody saying they rub a coat of Tru Oil on and let it sit for abut a minute and wipe it off and then use the Stock and Sheen conditioner.
I will probably will not put a finish on mine, but I'm still curious about it.

According to EB's website they use tru-oil and gunstock wax but other than that I can't find anything.

I use Tru-Oil and gunstock wax, but they're not mixed together. The wax is applied after about 10 coats of Tru-Oil with 24 hours of dry time between coats.

Feels awesome, and is protected from moisture and dirt. Gonna do this on my new roasted maple neck as well.

EBMM forums said on a factory tour they wiped a coat of tru oil on, grabbed a rag and wiped it off. Then waxed it. I did about 6-8 coats (forget at the moment) and after knocking it back did a coat of the wax. Feels just like a good EB neck. Super smooth and fast.

Keep in mind, that there is Tru-Oil, from Birchwood Casey, and true oils, as known in the wood finishing circles.  BC Tru-Oil is little more than an oil fortified wiping varnish.  So, Tru-Oil is not a true oil.  If you can stand the longish cure, real tung oil will give a fairly waterproof finish that feels like silk. 

Toulouse_Tuhles said:
Keep in mind, that there is Tru-Oil, from Birchwood Casey, and true oils, as known in the wood finishing circles.  BC Tru-Oil is little more than an oil fortified wiping varnish.  So, Tru-Oil is not a true oil.  If you can stand the longish cure, real tung oil will give a fairly waterproof finish that feels like silk.

True enough, but tru-oil is used by EBMM as asked in the first post of the thread. It does of course contain linseed oil which is a true oil in itself.

The same could be said for most stuff sold as tung oil, they are often not pure tung oil. Pure tung oil is a good choice for salad bowls amongst other things.

Pure tung is also GREAT on necks.  Kinda tricky on bodies though.

I saw that they use tru oil and recommend it for maintenance, saying they use it.  They even give a shout out to Birchwood Casey. 

I'm not a fan of BC Tru-Oil, but if it works for EBMM, it works.  YMMV

Actually, for a neck BCTO isn't bad.  Its where folks try to get a consistent finish across a large section of wood (aka, a body), or if they try to get "build up" with a product like BCTO.  I've seen, experienced, played... "the gummies" when that happens.  And I've stripped a few necks and put other finishes on 'em for folks.  I dunno... best I can say is go light with the stuff.

Back