Replacement neck, what tools do I need?

tiscoat

I’m planning on getting a conversion neck for a strat. This is a “what tools I need” thread. I have basic construction tools but nothing for luthiery.

What tool do I need to be able to measure the trueness/relief of the neck and inform truss rod adjustments?

Gunna install Schallers - don’t feel like getting the jig for those two prong fender machines. Will I still need reamers to widen the holes for tuning machines despite the fact that Warmoth drills holes for these spec machines in the headstock?

Anything else I would need to either install or set-up the neck?

I hope to get a new 54mm bridge / trem in the distant future but for now will be keeping the modern stock bridge.

I've never needed many tools for this job, and certainly no specialty or luthiery-specific tools. Here's my list for a modern or vintage-modern construction neck from Warmoth:
  • Large phillips-head screwdriver for the neck screws
  • Small phillips-head screwdriver for tuner, string retainer, and truss rod cover screws
  • 1/8" (3mm) allen wrench for the truss rod side-adjust (modern necks only) and Floyd Rose nut screws
  • Metal straightedge/ruler for checking neck relief and for aligning tuners (those with flat bottoms)
  • Cordless drill
  • Small diameter drill bit for drilling pilot holes for tuner and string retainer screws (dia depends on the size of the screws, should match the inner diameter of the screw, not the thread dia). I think a safe size is 1/32" and possibly 5/64" (definitely drill these if your neck is a dense wood like maple, wenge, rosewood, walnut, etc. or you risk breaking the screw heads off and/or cracking the wood).
  • Mechanical pencil and small center punch or scratch awl for marking screw hole positions (punching keeps the drill bit from wandering off during the first turns)
  • Painters/masking tape to mark hole depth on drill bits
  • Bar soap, beeswax or similar to lube the screws before installing
  • Socket or wrench for tuner post nuts (3/8"?)
  • Truss rod wrench (5/16"? order from Warmoth to be certain of fit, I've gotten some elsewhere that didn't reach on tiltback necks!)
Ok that list looks a little bigger than I recalled but they are mostly basic common tools. There are tons of vids and resources online, or here's my old first-time build page with simple instructions: http://futureprimal.com/projectorange/

I've had good luck with all of my Warmoth necks, never had to do any fretwork on them before playing. But if you do and want to tackle it yourself, you'll need fretwork tools. StewMac sells lot of this stuff and has some great videos.

Also, I can't speak to the Schaller tuners you're choosing but I've never had to ream the Gotoh/Grover holes for my Gotoh tuners. They just drop right in!

Hopefully others will chime in with their suggestions, many ways to accomplish the same work and as many tips! Good luck with your conversion :)

To add and clarify the list above.

The size of the Philips screwdrivers is #1 and #2.

Tuner post threaded bushings for Schallers have a 10mm nut size.

Truss rod wrench (5/16"? order from Warmoth to be certain of fit, I've gotten some elsewhere that didn't reach on tiltback necks!)
The size of allen (hex) key for a Warmoth heel adjust truss rod is 7/32".

For tuner holes, they can be adjusted with sandpaper wrapped around a pencil, but a suitable reamer can make the job easier but is not essential.

Also check out the thread linked in my signature below. It has many links in it to build threads and other tips etc.

Reactions: u.9
Thanks for the correction, 7/32" allen key for heel-adjust truss, 5/16" socket for tiltback.

Also, 2.5mm allen key for Floyd Rose nut mounting bolts, 3mm for string clamps.

That's a pretty good list.

The only thing I would add is don't be daunted. Most of that stuff is really common and cheap. The only semi-expensive thing is a cordless drill, and you'll find yourself using that all the time. It's pretty much a necessity if you're a home owner.

Reactions: u.9
I use a drill with a cord. It probably was the third tool I bought, after the hammer for hanging pictures, and the hand saw for cutting shelves. My most recent addition is the oscillating saw. That's great for cutting trim without taking the whole thing off.

I love my corded drill. The cord gets in the way on some jobs but the torque can't be beat... rarely if ever bogs down even on spin-down unlike my old cordless which will sometimes bind up on the bigger bits. Also nice as a backup when someone leaves the cordless batts drained!

I’m planning on getting a conversion neck for a strat. This is a “what tools I need” thread. I have basic construction tools but nothing for luthiery.

What tool do I need to be able to measure the trueness/relief of the neck and inform truss rod adjustments?

Gunna install Schallers - don’t feel like getting the jig for those two prong fender machines. Will I still need reamers to widen the holes for tuning machines despite the fact that Warmoth drills holes for these spec machines in the headstock?

Anything else I would need to either install or set-up the neck

I hope to get a new 54mm bridge / trem in the distant future but for now will be keeping the modern stock bridge.
Thanks for the comprehensive list @u.9 ! Got most of that already😅. Thanks for the replies @stratamania solid suggestion on the sandpaper trick. Glad to know it might not be needed. Checking out your links now. @aarontunes thanks for the encouragement!

Back