Removing Wudtone?

stefanhotrod

Hi,

I‘ve finished a body with wudtone but I wasn‘t too happy with the color so I‘ve sanded the whole finish down. Unfortunately there are leftovers of the old finish in deeper pores (swamp ash)…any idea how to remove them or better, which solvent can I use? Naphta and Acetone doesn’t work.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ouch, I can't recall the name of the thread, but there was one similar. It dealt with picking out the grain filler with a dental type pick.

TBurst Std said:
Ouch, I can't recall the name of the thread, but there was one similar. It dealt with picking out the grain filler with a dental type pick.

This one probably -  https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=31762.0

Though that approach may not work for Wudtone. I am not sure what exactly Wudtone uses as a solvent but perhaps something like Nitromors or a similar paint stripper might help to clean it out followed by having to clean up the paint stripper.

I think it's pretty tuff stuff. I'd try various kinds of paint removers, or even bringing it to a furniture stripping place.  I always got rid of poly based things, physically.  Not sure if it's poly.  There may be a chemical that works, but I don't know it.  I've actually written to Wudtone to get info, and they always responded.  Did you try contacting them?

rick2 said:
I think it's pretty tuff stuff. I'd try various kinds of paint removers, or even bringing it to a furniture stripping place.  I always got rid of poly based things, physically.  Not sure if it's poly.  There may be a chemical that works, but I don't know it.  I've actually written to Wudtone to get info, and they always responded.  Did you try contacting them?

Thanks.
Still waiting for an answer from wudtone. Since it‘s made of different natural oils, waxes and Kolophonium maybe real turpentine will work? Maybe I‘ll give that a try besides paint thinner.

TBurst Std said:

Yea. That might have been me, when I used the wrong color grain filler of a black korina body.
It wasn't a terrible chore but I'd rather not ever have to do it again.

My other remove old finish thread was using a heat gun and putty knife. A nightmare but it eventually worked.

None of the solvents worked.
I‘ve showed the body to an old carpenter who’s restoring antique furniture. He just said: „sand more! Forget about the solvents!“

It seems to work: 100-120-180 and maybe 240. Much ellbow grease!

Back