Removing and Reusing the Warmoth Made in USA Metal Headstock Decals

DocNrock

Master Member
Since Warmoth no longer sells the "Warmoth Made in USA" metal headstock decals, I've been trying to find one in gold in various places (E-bay, Unofficial Warmoth) with no luck.  I have an old Warmoth neck that I never used for anything that has a gold Warmoth metal decal on the headstock. 

Has anyone successfully removed one of these decals from one neck, reapplied adhesive, and used it on another neck?  The "Warmoth" part might not be so difficult, but the tiny "Made in USA" letters might be a real challenge. 

If no one has tried it, I was thinking perhaps a hot hairdryer to soften the adhesive, then an X-acto knife or sharp razor blade to at least get an edge of each letter raised.  Then perhaps some acetone to dissolve the adhesive to get the letters off the rest of the way.  Does anyone see any problem with this, besides possibly bending the letters if I'm too aggressive with the approach, in general? 

If I get the letters off in usable condition, I was thinking about arranging them onto a piece of Scotch tape, then using spray adhesive onto the underside.  I could then apply the letters to the new neck as I would have done with a brand new decal.

Hmmm.  I'd try the same method that you de-badge your car:  a hair dryer and dental floss.

Back