Remind ya of anyone's Strat? (-Minus the electrical tape)

Day-mun

Got this body a while back on screamin' deals (pickguard, plate & button holes already drilled... -return?) for like half the made-to-order price. Alpine white chambered ash body with the nat'l masked binding. She had an ebony/maple neck for a spell (-now on the Fifty-Four), but something just wasn't quite right. -Pulled the first fretless neck I bought from W outa the closet and found the match to feel heavenly... but the cream dots and earthy colored lines looked outa place with the stark white and black appointments.

Then, one day I saw (quite by accident; I was searching something else) pics of Mully's alpine white Strat sporting the vintage pearl I had to replicate that look! Sure, the pickups ain't white, and there aren't any holes sealed with electrical tape, but I think the wow-factor translated to this elegant J!

Attachments

• DSCN1925.JPG
    DSCN1925.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 805
  • DSCN1923.JPG
    DSCN1923.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 734
  • DSCN1921.JPG
    DSCN1921.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 786
9hco46.jpg

Thanks guys! I would've never thought to put that creamy pearl on alpine white if it weren't for Mullyman. Pretty sharp, indeed.

The controls aren't cutting-edge, but still a little spiffier than the usual VVT Jazz set-up. She's got Master volume/blend pot/master (no-load) tone. These controls work better for me; with two pickups & traditional wiring, I'd prob'ly always be fiddling with the two volume knobs, -trying to get 'em balanced instead of just playin' the dang song!  :laughing7:

Ok, where did you get that pickguard?
I want to put a 5-string P pickup in the neck of my Deluxe 5 jazz, but it seems Warmoth cannot do a pickguard with that route.    :(

Have you tried to phone them to make sure they cannot do it? You could always make the pickup route yourself, it is quite easy with a drill, a file and a bit of care.

Day-mun, this is an awesome looking bass. I find the black pickups to look sharp with that white body and vintage pearl guard.

croquet hoop said:
Have you tried to phone them to make sure they cannot do it? You could always make the pickup route yourself, it is quite easy with a drill, a file and a bit of care.

... and a lot more patience than I have!  I've tried once already, and it didn't turn out too well.  I may try again at some point, but having it done for me would be SO much easier!
And yes, I asked via email as I was ordering the parts for the bass.

And to stay on topic, that is indeed a fine looking bass!

Thanks again, all, for the good feed-back. Andy, don't worry 'bout stayin' on topic; guitar/bass talk is always the topic!  :icon_thumright:

This is a W pickguard, nothing special-order about it. As far as it goes with finding one for a five-stringer, I dunno what you're gonna do. Cutting one isn't my favorite thing to do, but changing the pickup opening slightly isn't too bad... unless it is tortoise shell or any other mat'l made out of nitrocellulose. -That stuff gets remotely hot, and just bursts into flames like it is drenched in gasoline!

Try Terrapin guitars? I never used 'em, but lot's of guys here have. -Ask around, you'll find a way to get whatcha want!

Day-mun said:
Try Terrapin guitars? I never used 'em, but lot's of guys here have. -Ask around, you'll find a way to get whatcha want!

Yeah, I found Terrapin and did contact them.  But because a 5 string P route is unusual (and I actually want a reverse P route, with the bass side of the P pickup closest to the bridge), it would cost $20 for the setup fee, and $33 for the pickguard.  Considering how the Canadian dollar has been doing lately, it would be close to $70CAD to get them to make one for me.
I could attempt 2 more pickguards myself for that price!
I'm happy with the J-J setup for the time being, but perhaps at some point I'll make the change.

Yep. there seems to be an unspoken rule of economics that governs every sales/customer service group everywhere:

A. Good
B. Fast
C. Cheap

(-Customer may choose only two of the three.)

The Fretted T-bass neck from the Seafoam build ended up on this guy; the two-pickup configuration as well as the taller Gotoh bridge just seemed the most suited for round-wounds and frets.

-Sorta funny: All my P's have J necks, and the one J-bass I have is rockin' the the wide-nutted Tele/P neck!  :tard:

Back