Recommend choice of wood and stain

easymeow

Looking to build a Warmoth Jazzmaster-style, with this this sort of look: https://reverb.com/item/4777170-fender-jazzmaster-1961-stained?show_sold=true
I'm leaning towards tried-and-true alder, or maybe swamp ash. I'm a newbie so I'm thinking a simple finish of no filler, tea stain, Tru-Oil, and Beechwood Casey Sheen.
I want it to look like something you'd be OK to spill beer on--not putting it in a display case or anything.
Thoughts?

To get that color you probably want to either go with walnut for the wood, or alder or ash with a light application of a walnut brown stain (Birchwood Casey makes one too). My experience with tea is it makes for more of a vintage tint to amber to golden brown color when used on light colored woods.

ragamuffin said:
To get that color you probably want to either go with walnut for the wood, or alder or ash with a light application of a walnut brown stain (Birchwood Casey makes one too). My experience with tea is it makes for more of a vintage tint to amber to golden brown color when used on light colored woods.
A lil' vintage would be nice. Maybe tea followed by walnut brown stain. Or tea on a roasted wood. Finished with Tru-Oil.

Check out Arm-r-Seal  it seems to be a good choice for easy, nice looking, and relatively bulletproof.

Alder stained light brown would work.  Use any stain of your choosing, just go easy with it because it's hard to go the other way. Top coat, try danish oil, or tru-oil or any wipe on.

Maybe roasted alder with a clear like arm r seal

Back