Recessed Wilkinson Tremolo on VIP

EricX

Anyone got a pic?
Is the neck recessed as well?
I was wanting to do a 2TEK but Warmoth informed me they don't do that for the VIP body. I'm wanting to do a bridge that can take the GraphTech Ghost acoustic saddles to do an acoustic/electric hybrid but have fallen behind on tech since dropping out of the build biz 10 years ago.
Any suggestions?
Working on a build in the next few weeks.

The simplest solution would be to get one of the pre-loaded bridges that graphtech sells.  I believe those are limited to TOMs, wraparounds, and maybe some type of Floyd.

Agree Pelagaard... I'm thinking the GT ResoMax might be the right choice. I'll hit our buds at Warmoth to see if they have the template or if I'll have to send the bridge in.
I've made 2 VIP's... one when they first came out that was damn near like an original sketch I had (Strat-PRS hybrid) but since it was cheaper, well... served the purpose well with the big control cavity that allowed me to set in 2 sets of electronics and make a super-versatile studio guitar that played and sounded so damn good I had to make a simplified version for live... the current VIP I use (abuse) on a 2-4 night/week schedule.
This next one I want to fill the role of another awesome sounding electric like my others but with an acoustic system (also using the chambered body option) built in to handle the 50% of the gigs I'm getting (acoustic) without having to transition to another guitar with another feel and play.
Anyway, yea... I'm thinking just go with a pre-wired GraphTech hardtail and be happy... yea, thanks Pelagaard, you were speaking for that inner gearwhore inside that keeps me from getting too complicated. LOL!

BTW, anyone ever seen or tried the GraphTech Rat:eek: tuned keys?
When I built the first VIP I used a reverse Warmoth construct headstock and angled the keys back 45 degrees like a Warwick Bass for a more ergonomic turning angle. It's worked with great success but I imagine these are a step above that. GT doesn't play with junk so I imagine the quality is top notch... how is that odd turning ratio.. anyone tried?

Those tuners seem like a great idea - I think the 12:1 ratio is probably another hangover from acoustic guitars that still plagues electric guitars. But I had one niggling little thought. Doesn't a 39:1 or 35:1 ratio mean a tremendous amount of stress on the little worm gear? (the one attached to the key). My ability to do the physics on this is long, long gone, done flew the coop a few decades back - but the high ratio means either much smaller teeth set closer together an/or a bigger main gear? (the one attached to the shaft).

Stripped worm gears still happen in the 12:1 world. I don't know - the science of materials in general and specifically metallurgy has gotten hugely better even in just the last decade. But the image of a tiny little worn surfing on a big ol' wheel leaves me thinking - "Wipeout!""

Uh.-Oh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ

Back