Raw neck care

fuzzyoctaves

I have two Warmoth necks: a canary with canary FB and a roasted maple with Bocote FB.
Both necks are unfinished. I have never cleaned, sanded or oiled them and the fretboards are starting to look a bit mucky ans the backs of the necks are not as smooth as they used to be. I live in a mostly dry climate.

What are the best ways to clean the fretboard and how should I handle the back of the necks?

Wipe off the gunk with a paper towel and naptha.  Let dry for 15 mins.  Then put on a very light coat of mineral oil.  Done. 

The more you play the neck, the smoother it gets.  Not sure what's happening where you are.  Maybe on the back of the neck you should do some burnishing.  There are loads of info on this site on how to do it.

Unfinished Maple fretboards show wear.  That's just par for the course.  As for the back of the neck, do a search on this forum for "burnish".  Burnishing the neck is easy, just takes a little elbow grease, and you'll be amazed how smooth your neck will feel!

Bill, tgo

Checked out the burnishing thread - wow! I already ordered the sandpaper.

The problem is for cleaning the fretboard, I live in CA and Naptha ain't available here. Does anyone have a good replacement? I have read so many different things online like Murphys Oil Soap, etc, but I wanted to get a recommendation here.

Ronsonal and other cigarette lighter fluids (not butane) are Naptha.  So is Coleman Lantern white gas.  I believe you can still get these in California. 

Bill,tgo

I've occasionally wiped down the backs with a slightly damp (with water) rag and then dried them off right away.
Naptha of fret boards is good and occasionally very lightly with mineral oil and then rub it til it's as dry as possible.

Back