R.I.P JEFF BECK

a truly sad day, rip and all that

i remember the first time heard Blow By Blow it was when my dad was making me do our daily calisthenics. he would put that or sometimes other albums on and shout exercises at me. i used to get tried by Constipated Duck but after 6 months i could plank for the full duration of Scatterbrain and my abs were rock hard. it really gave me some self confidence. not too long later at school, a bully pushed me down at recess and stole my shoes, but instead of crying and begging for them back, i just said "well what are you gonna do with them now, carry em all day?" and he hesitated for a few seconds and then tossed them back to me before running off to the kickball field. all things considered, not a bad first day for a college freshman. i went and bought a JB humbucker from a local guitar shop that very afternoon in tribute

Man, I just saw this.

This hit me in the gut and heart.

He was such an amazing guitarist. I remember seeing him in the Manhatten ballroom, NYC during the who else! Tour.

He was the only player to move me to tears. When he got into Where Were You, it just hit me. Tears of joy.

I've never had, and probably never will have that happen again.

What a master.

My wife just told me about this. Very very saddened by this news. Just 2 days ago, Jimmy Page turned 79. Time goes too fast....

Jeff was my inspiration to try to just play and reach beyond my box. It wasn't until I heard Blow By Blow at age 15 or so that I understood. To this day I listen to that masterpiece of not just guitar, but music, and am moved. My guitar teacher at that time had turned me onto Mr. Beck and I remember him saying he had seen Beck live a few times. He had some nights when he was off, but when he was on it was breathtaking. I've never seen him live, but there is an emotive quality coupled with fury and intelligence in his playing and music that is IMHO....awesome.

As a player, the guy was pure inspiration. How many players can truly say they have their own style, have evolved in their scope and capability (especially compared to their contemporaries) and have walked their own path. His phrasing was sometimes familiar but unique to wild and beyond. To this day I have not heard a more emotionally gut wrenching melancholy example of guitar playing than Cause We've Ended As Lovers. He did not have the overt inspirational power of a Hendrix or EVH, but anyone who plays the instrument and has some knowledge of the greats of the craft, knows of the magnitude and greatness that is Jeff Beck.

The world is diminished

R.I.P. Jeff Beck

I heard the news a bit ago and was teary.
Jeff was awesome. He’s the only guitarist that while watching live (saw him 3x) that halfway through I wanted to give up guitar (as I could never do what he does).

This one hit me hard, like Greg Allman did.

My wife just told me about this. Very very saddened by this news. Just 2 days ago, Jimmy Page turned 79. Time goes too fast....

Jeff was my inspiration to try to just play and reach beyond my box. It wasn't until I heard Blow By Blow at age 15 or so that I understood. To this day I listen to that masterpiece of not just guitar, but music, and am moved. My guitar teacher at that time had turned me onto Mr. Beck and I remember him saying he had seen Beck live a few times. He had some nights when he was off, but when he was on it was breathtaking. I've never seen him live, but there is an emotive quality coupled with fury and intelligence in his playing and music that is IMHO....awesome.

As a player, the guy was pure inspiration. How many players can truly say they have their own style, have evolved in their scope and capability (especially compared to their contemporaries) and have walked their own path. His phrasing was sometimes familiar but unique to wild and beyond. To this day I have not heard a more emotionally gut wrenching melancholy example of guitar playing than Cause We've Ended As Lovers. He did not have the overt inspirational power of a Hendrix or EVH, but anyone who plays the instrument and has some knowledge of the greats of the craft, knows of the magnitude and greatness that is Jeff Beck.

The world is diminished

R.I.P. Jeff Beck
Jeff was also one of my early inspirations when I started playing.

My 3rd cd was a Beck compilation album, followed by Blow by blow (1st was a freebie of mind crime and #2 was rush chronicles). I think the next 6 cds were beck as well.

I also saw him 3 times. Twice with bb king, and once without. He was on fire at the Manhatten ballroom on the who else tour. Jennifer batten and Vinnie colaiuta were backing him. To this day, he is the only player to move me to tears. It was during where were you. I was about 25 feet away, and blown away. Tears of joy. What a magic night.

Susan tedeschi opened for him. She was wearing a short skirt and was on stage about 5 feet up. So, it was a good view. Lol.
Funny what you remember

His playing was so emotive, vocal, explosive, and personality that I felt I knew him in some weird way.

A true master of the pick, fingers, and slide.

No other celebrity or musician has ever affected me like this. Dimebag Darrel was close, but mainly due to the way in which he passed, and the kinda guy he was, less so for his music.

I know what you mean ... you hear someone and they could be playing anything... but it’s like angels and your connected to the root ... makes you proud of our culture and human beings. Tears ....

I first got into Jeff Beck in the early 80's when Stevie Ray Vaughan and he were touring together. Started with Guitar Shop and worked my way back in the catalog, and I've listened to so much since then. I have always been amazed at his capacity to evolve and innovate throughout his career.
THis one got me in the guts when I first heard it, and even more so in light of this news.

Probably his work I'm most familiar with are the solos he played for Jon Bon on the Young Guns soundtrack. I've played his solo from Blaze of Glory a million times, and it's like no other solo I've learned. So many of the pitches are obtained via the tremolo bar.

While not the biggest fan, I recognize his massive contribution to the world of guitar, and the huge vacancy he leaves.

RIP Jeff Beck.

Probably his work I'm most familiar with are the solos he played for Jon Bon on the Young Guns soundtrack. I've played his solo from Blaze of Glory a million times, and it's like no other solo I've learned. So many of the pitches are obtained via the tremolo bar.

While not the biggest fan, I recognize his massive contribution to the world of guitar, and the huge vacancy he leaves.

RIP Jeff Beck.
I didn't know this.

Cool

Back