Quick Nut Slot Question

arealken

Okie Doke Folks... Gonna shoot ya a question. I have a neck, that I kinda butchered the high E nut slot. I bought a 10 gauge file, and did the baking Soda and Superglue trick, and bought a .010 nut file. Now although I am gravitating on using 10 gauge strings on my Strats, I still do like to use a .009 sometimes. Well, do you boys think that a .010 nut slot for a 9 gauge string would present a problem, or vice -versa ( would a .009 nut slot present a problem for a 10 gauge string)?

I appreciate your advise so much!

Also, string seems to be hanging up in the slot; makes  a 'clink' sound when I tune the string...

Okie Doke Folks... Gonna shoot ya a question. I have a neck, that I kinda butchered the high E nut slot. I bought a 10 gauge file, and did the baking Soda and Superglue trick, and bought a .010 nut file. Now although I am gravitating on using 10 gauge strings on my Strats, I still do like to use a .009 sometimes. Well, do you boys think that a .010 nut slot for a 9 gauge string would present a problem, or vice -versa ( would a .009 nut slot present a problem for a 10 gauge string)?

Just use the .010 file you have, a .009 string shouldn't really have a problem.

Also, string seems to be hanging up in the slot; makes  a 'clink' sound when I tune the string...

The string is either hanging up in the slot or moving sideways. Check that the bottom of the slot is smooth and has a downward angle toward the tuners. It should be wide enough to allow the string to slide through it, but not so wide to allow sideways shift. I'd guess it's more likely that the slot isn't consistently smooth or has a lump somewhere in it.

PhilHill said:

Just use the .010 file you have, a .009 string shouldn't really have a problem.

The string is either hanging up in the slot or moving sideways. Check that the bottom of the slot is smooth and has a downward angle toward the tuners. It should be wide enough to allow the string to slide through it, but not so wide to allow sideways shift. I'd guess it's more likely that the slot isn't consistently smooth or has a lump somewhere in it.

Thank you Phillip. You have been so helpful , I cannot begin to thank you. You know yer stuff! Don't know what I'd do without you.

If the string still seems to hang up some fine (like 1000 to 1500) grit wet/dry sandpaper, wet and crisply folded once can lightly smooth the sides of the slot as the files only cut on the bottom.  I don't think you would have any trouble using 9's in a a slot cut for 10's.

Thank you Phillip. You have been so helpful , I cannot begin to thank you. You know yer stuff! Don't know what I'd do without you.

Your quite welcome, glad to help, and so are many others here. I was lucky when I started out that I ran into folks who were generous with their knowledge and experience. I told myself that I would do the same when given the chance. Although I'm not sure I deserve that high a praise level,(And my ex-wife would definitely agree I don't.) I very much appreciate your kind words. :icon_thumright:

Back