Quick Jazz Build

4Stringenator

Just a short and sweet Jazz build.
Rescued a Geddy Lee body and instantly thought it deserves a Warmoth neck! Found a nice rosewood topped PBass neck with inlays in the showcase.
Neck Specs: 1-11/16" nut, Black Corian, 10" radius, SS6150 frets, Slim profile. Body Specs: Stock Fender Geddy Jazz (Alder) body, single coil pickups, bridge and VVT controls. The overall quality of the body and parts are very good. Weighs in at ~7 lbs with hardware. I probably will change the controls to Volume, Tone and Blend at a later time.

I just put the second coat of satin wipe-on poly on the neck last night and noticed a nice feature. A subtle but welcome flame bonus! :hello2:
The build should go quickly if the matriarch allows. I ran POE security cameras the last few weekends so I should be good, right?.  :icon_thumright:           

Attachments

• Ged.jpg
    Ged.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • Neckbody.jpg
    Neckbody.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • Headstock.jpg
    Headstock.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 7
  • Neck 1.jpg
    Neck 1.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Neck 2.jpg
    Neck 2.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 8
  • Neck 3.jpg
    Neck 3.jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 14
Gotta love those bonus flames.  I had one like that.  It's on the white P in my signature.

Gotta love that neck/body combo you got.  Straying a bit from Geddy's standard maple fretboard with black blocks, but that's nice!

I wired up a volume/blend/tone circuit once.  Once.  Found I didn't care for it too much. 

Seeing as you've got the body all assembled, this should go fast!

I got to work on it a little bit this weekend. Applied another coat of poly and then focused on a few frets that had some sharp spots. They need a little more attention to get them the way I like them.

That is a nice P Bass you built! I have a white Squier VM 70's Jazz with the same contrasting white and black color scheme. It is really heavy. I believe it has a soft maple body. I was going to put this new neck on it but the body just is way too heavy and the black body caught my eye and is nice and light.       

Had great weather Sunday and got to finish the Jazz. Nice and sleek. Letting the neck acclimate a few days before a final setup.

Attachments

• Jazz.jpg
    Jazz.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 6
I performed a setup and had some buzz from a few high frets. Took the neck off and set it dead straight. Checked with a rocker and straight edge and it did indeed have a few high spots here and there throughout the neck. Leveled the spots, crowned and polished. Put it back together and setup again. It plays great now except for some buzz on the 21st fret with the A, D and G strings. Damn, should have checked it closer! I like my action low and tend to dig-in hard at times when channeling my inner Geddy.

The wife says, "the broken dishwasher comes first." The replacement pump/heater assembly should arrive in east podunk today so the Jazz will have to take a backseat until the weekend. Oh the 1st world problems.             

4Stringenator said:
I performed a setup and had some buzz from a few high frets. Took the neck off and set it dead straight. Checked with a rocker and straight edge and it did indeed have a few high spots here and there throughout the neck. Leveled the spots, crowned and polished. Put it back together and setup again. It plays great now except for some buzz on the 21st fret with the A, D and G strings.

That's where having a setup jig comes in handy...

As8YmW8.jpg

Puts all the real-life stressors on the thing so you don't get surprised and have to disassemble/reassemble (usually).

Hehe! Yeah, I still get surprised once in a while. Time can change things, so as much as I can I like to leave a freshly fretted/refretted neck on the thing for a while to let it settle in. One of the first roasted Maple necks I did a few years ago changed so much, I actually ended up refretting the damned thing. Still don't really know what happened with that one, but it was like it was haunted. A real tar-baby, in that the more I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

That's a cool jig! Looks like an orthopedic device a surgeon would use.
I have been experimenting with D'Addario EXL220BT 40-95 balanced tension strings. My 19' Ric likes them along with the 4 string side of my Warmoth double neck. I have another Warmoth P bass neck that hates them. I have also have a 85' Ric hates them too, it prefers EXL170 45-100.
~35 pounds difference total tension between the sets per D'Addario. Physics and wood  :dontknow:

There are so many things, many of them tiny to the point of what appears to be insignificance, that affect an instrument's character it's tough to say where one gets it's "mojo" to the exclusion of many other seemingly identical instruments. Frustrating, really, trying to create that "perfect storm".

I put the heavier strings on. It made much happier! It needed some branding. Are these to spec?  :glasses9:

Attachments

• Resizer_15842439745460.jpg
    Resizer_15842439745460.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Resizer_15842435724620.jpg
    Resizer_15842435724620.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Back