Questions for Humbucker Phase and 5 Way Super Switch

bvdrummer

This is for my 7 string baritone (still awaiting neck and body from Warmoth). I ordered it routed for 2 humbuckers with the 5 way slot and 3 holes for knobs. I found this diagram for 1V 2T:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2hum1vol2tone_ep1112a.pdf

which will give me:
1. Neck Humbucker
2. Outside Coils Series
3. Neck and Bridge Humbuckers
4. Inside Coils Parallel (no tone control)
5. Bridge Humbucker

Question #1: Would the pickups be in phase in position 3? (see attached photo) My gut says yes because the loop from hot to ground is still counter clockwise in both pickups. But I'm just confused because I've never seen a humbucker wired that way.

Question #2: If I want to swap positions 2 and 4, then all I have to do is swap those lugs when I'm wiring, correct? It almost seems too simple  :)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 226
They are in phase. It's quite clear when you look at the diagram.
However, it should be noted that you are not getting both coils of the bridge pickup in position three.
The wiring shown shunts the north coil and solos the south coil of the bridge pickup, while the neck pickup remains in series.

line6man said:
However, it should be noted that you are not getting both coils of the bridge pickup in position three.
The wiring shown shunts the north coil and solos the south coil of the bridge pickup, while the neck pickup remains in series.
On the DiMarzio diagram the bridge is wired the same way in both positions 3 and 5. So if it's not humbucking in position 3, then it won't be in position 5 either.
Sorry if my sketch didn't come out clear, but it's supposed to show that the bridge is wired (hot to ground):
white -> green -> red -> black
so it looks to me like both coils are connected in series, I just wanted to make sure they are in phase with the neck.

bvdrummer said:
line6man said:
On the DiMarzio diagram the bridge is wired the same way in both positions 3 and 5. So if it's not humbucking in position 3, then it won't be in position 5 either.
Sorry if my sketch didn't come out clear, but it's supposed to show that the bridge is wired (hot to ground):
white -> green -> red -> black
so it looks to me like both coils are connected in series, I just wanted to make sure they are in phase with the neck.

You're not inverting the phase of the output unless you swap the hot and ground of one or both coils.
All you've done is changed the order in which the components are wired in series, while their relative phase remains the same.

line6man said:
You're not inverting the phase of the output unless you swap the hot and ground of one or both coils.
All you've done is changed the order in which the components are wired in series, while their relative phase remains the same.

Ok that makes sense. Thank you!

Back