Question on tuning peg hole size - Grovers

Hi all,

I ordered a reverse headstock oversized Fender neck for a Tele build.  It's drilled for the Gotoh/Grover tuners which are 11/32" 13/32".  The problem is the 11/32" "lip" is on the top of the headstock which means the ferrules go in through the back side which puts the tuners mounting on the top.  Did Warmoth screw that up?

The other issue I have is the tuners I have are the Grover Rotomatic locking tuners which according to the packaging is for a hole that's 21/64".  Can I just ream or drill out that little lip?  There's a slight amount of play when I put the ferrule in, but that's ok, right?  I don't know how snug it should be.  Also, I don't think these tuners require that little lip...  I think they just go in a straight hole.

I'm no math expert, but when I look at the difference between 11/32" and 21/64", it's .396mm difference.  Is that difference going to affect the tone/sustain significantly?

So I'm I fine just taking that little lip off or is that a bad idea?  Thanks for any help on this!

Rusty Shackleford said:
Hi all,

I ordered a reverse headstock oversized Fender neck for a Tele build.  It's drilled for the Gotoh/Grover tuners which are 11/32" 13/32".  The problem is the 11/32" "lip" is on the top of the headstock which means the ferrules go in through the back side which puts the tuners mounting on the top.  Did Warmoth screw that up?

The other issue I have is the tuners I have are the Grover Rotomatic locking tuners which according to the packaging is for a hole that's 21/64".  Can I just ream or drill out that little lip?  There's a slight amount of play when I put the ferrule in, but that's ok, right?  I don't know how snug it should be.  Also, I don't think these tuners require that little lip...  I think they just go in a straight hole.

I'm no math expert, but when I look at the difference between 11/32" and 21/64", it's .396mm difference.  Is that difference going to affect the tone/sustain significantly?

So I'm I fine just taking that little lip off or is that a bad idea?  Thanks for any help on this!

21/64ths = .328 thousands, 13/32nds = .406 thousands that's .037 on a side too big a hole. That's going to affect the stability of the tuner I'm afraid. To put a smaller tuner in you would have to plug the holes and redrill the right size.

Back