Question about phase and wiring

xParallax

Hey all!

So I just impulse-bought one of those Squier Classic Vibe 60s Mustangs as a bit of a project. I know I won't like the S-S pickup orientation so was planning to swap out the bridge pickup with an SD Little '59.

The guitar has the classic 2-switch phasing method, where there is a switch for each pickup, the 3 positions on each switch: forward phase, off, backward phase.

My question is: How would replacing the bridge single coil with a humbucker affect the phasing switches if I switched them 'out of phase' ('bridge forward, neck reverse' or 'bridge reverse, neck forward'), would I still get an 'out of phase' kind of sound, or would it not matter because a humbucker is a humbucker no matter which way you turn it?

I appreciate this is a super niche question that barely anyone would even have the answer to, but I figured there are a lot of wise heads on here who are great at building guitars exactly how they want them, and not how the manufacturers make them!

There are different ways pickups can be out of phase.

One out of phase with another pickup
Out of phase or in phase with itself.

Note the so called 2 and 4 positions on a Strat being described as out of phase is a colloquialism of some guitarists and not actually the case.

It might be worth looking at this and then figuring out what type of switches are in your guitar and what you would like them to do. E.g. a different type of switch may be needed or not as the case may be.

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Understanding_Guitar_Wiring_I-4000_2.html

stratamania said:
It might be worth looking at this and then figuring out what type of switches are in your guitar and what you would like them to do. E.g. a different type of switch may be needed or not as the case may be.

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Understanding_Guitar_Wiring_I-4000_2.html

AcrylicSuperman said:
You'll still get the same out of phase sound.

Thanks both for your input! After reading the article stratamania recommended, I think I understand a little more now. I've made up a bit of a wiring diagram so I can implement a coil split into the guitar too. For $5 for a switch it's worth the benefit! Could I get a sanity check on my wiring diagram, just to see if it's a logical thing to do? It can be found here https://pasteboard.co/J85Lj8L.png

Thanks all,
Rhys
(xParallax)

As far as I can see it looks about right. I am not sure how the single coil size humbucker will sound split but another option would to be use a series/parallel switch.

I'm no expert when it comes to wiring, but it looks right to me.

I once had a hss strat that had individual on/off switches with neck and middle pickups having an out of phase option. It had a hot rail in the bridge and the volume pot was a push pull for coil split. I mainly used it with the neck pickup, which gave me a noiseless bridge+neck combo. I really loved that sound and it didn't sound bad out of phase either.

But i agree you might find a series/parallel switch more useful.

Back