PRS Blue Fade and Eriza Verde dye finishes (Maui Surf, Jungle burst)

docteurseb

Finally was able to try Fiebing's leather dyes and I'm liking the results so far.

First I always wanted to do a PRS style blue fade dye. Warmoth did a similar thing for the anniversary run called Maui Surf:
ICgersX.jpg

I never was able to achieve the vibrancy I wanted using TransTint or Keda dyes. Their blue is nice and dark but once diluted the lighter blues don't seem to be all that vibrant anymore. Maybe there's a trick.
That changed when I applied pure undiluted Fiebing's Turquoise, Light Blue, and Navy blue straight out of the bottle:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4cvaL5pTcYA[/youtube]

hHJhfd2.jpg

DEIrLkm.jpg

Without dilution though it's very hard to blend. It dries too fast, and is almost too concentrated. I had to use alcohol to brighten the turquoise as it became too dark after just two passes.

Since I bought some yellow as well I attempted one layer of undiluted turquoise, followed by a layer of undiluted yellow.
I wasn't disappointed, the resulting color looks very similar to Warmoth's Jungle Burst and PRS Eriza Verde. It's just a lot more vibrant, it's so vivid in person it looks radioactive. I edited pictures to show exactly how vivid it looks, the video isn't as representative:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/tXQompHAxAY[/youtube]

1zusgAS.jpg

GhajK6i.jpg

I'm terribly tempted to try that on a body and neck..

Trying with a light sand back after the 1st layer would be cool too and should produce contrasting yellow and green curls...

Those are vibrant! If they are indicators of how Fiebings dyes do on maple, you may be onto something very cool.

Worth noting that some of the Fiebing dyes have a chemical reaction with superglue, which I often use to strengthen the piece or either as satin finish or sealer coat for a gloss finish. Never experienced that yet with Keda / TransTint (at least for the colors I use).

The first time I did the green one it turned into an unappealing mix of golden brown/red the moment I applied superglue. Almost threw it away but luckily acetone cleaned up the mess.

docteurseb said:
Their blue is nice and dark but once diluted the lighter blues don't seem to be all that vibrant anymore. Maybe there's a trick.

I don't know if it's the trick, but I was able to get this with TransTint blue:
2019-12-29-08.47.28.jpg

It's barely diluted, though. Maybe 8:1 or 10:1 ratio of dye to water.  When I started with 4:1, it seemed like it hardly made a difference.

But I'm tempted to try the Fiebings on the next project.

Just redid a test piece for my collection, here's how I do that green one:
    [youtube]https://youtu.be/InwWbIPTA-M[/youtube]

I did a light sand back on half of the piece to see the difference.

It's clear epoxy from Art Resin.
Works great for these type of test pieces as it's super fast to do. No need to seal the wood, it just cures/dries with a glass like surface and doesn't sink into wood pores overtime like most other finishes would.

docteurseb said:
It's clear epoxy from Art Resin.
Works great for these type of test pieces as it's super fast to do. No need to seal the wood, it just cures/dries with a glass like surface and doesn't sink into wood pores overtime like most other finishes would.

Thanks and that explains it. I thought it looked quite wet and glass like though it was obviously dried.

Back