Project #3: Poplar Soloist

69autoXr

Third project, third post!

Poplar Soloist build inspired by the Charvel Custom Shop Dinky Poplar at the 2017 NAMM show. 

Specs:
-Body:  Warmoth Poplar Soloist, showcase body, recessed Floyd Rose rout, contoured heel.  Tru-oil finish
-Neck:  Warmoth maple/maple Modern Construction, right-handed reverse, Wizard profile, 6150 frets, R3 nut
-Bridge:  Floyd Rose 1000 Series (Korean-made Original), 37 mm brass Big Block
-Pups/electronics:  SD '59 Neck, Bill Lawrence L500XL bridge, 500k volume pot, 3-way toggle
-Misc:  Gotoh tuners

It's winter here in Detroit, so I opted to tru-oil the body rather than spray it.  I ended up putting about six coats on it, and then lightly buffed with 0000 steel wool to break the gloss a bit.  I'm really happy with it!

Attachments

• PoplarSoloist.JPG
    PoplarSoloist.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,206
Nice job.    I really like the look of poplar.  There are some fine examples out there....and this is one of them!

Thanks!  I'm really happy with how it turned out.

This pic is probably a better representation of how the color turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_5608.JPG
    IMG_5608.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 759
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Got a bit of that Nuno vibe! :guitarplayer2:

Yes!  The Charvel I based this on was said to be influenced by the N4.

https://reverb.com/item/5652299-charvel-usa-custom-shop-dinky-2h-poplar-namm-masterbuilt-red-dave

If it's finished with a UV blocker it might last longer. I asked about this a while back and I think I came to the conclusion that the only way to get a permanent poplar streaking is to try to recreate the pattern with aniline dye.

69autoXr said:
Thanks!  I'm really happy with how it turned out.

This pic is probably a better representation of how the color turned out.

the picture  in this post with the way the cat is placed on the headstock gives me headstock design ideas  :sign13:

Back