Post What Heavy / Progressive Rock You Are Listening to...

stratamania

Mythical Status
Well, we now have a Jazz thread, Metal, and a generic thread in addition to songs about trains.

But one thing that is missing is hard, heavy or progressive rock, whether it is from the 70s, 80s, or later, let's get the classic rock thread started with a cool video of Whitesnake's version of Deep Purple's Burn. Watch in 4K for best viewing and as David might say "'ere's a song for ya..."

Last edited:
And a bit of a story to this one, back in the sands of time in the UK when there were three TV channels and very little rock on the radio this was used as the theme tune to Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show.

Dixie Dregs - Take It Off The Top​

Nice one. I managed to see the Dregs in one of their reunited incarnations back in 2003 in Palo Alto, California. The lineup was Morse on guitar, Dave LaRue on bass, Rod Morgenstein on drums, T Lavitz on keys, and Jerry Goodman on fiddle. Tremendous show. A friend of mine opened for them.

Nice one. I managed to see the Dregs in one of their reunited incarnations back in 2003 in Palo Alto, California. The lineup was Morse on guitar, Dave LaRue on bass, Rod Morgenstein on drums, T Lavitz on keys, and Jerry Goodman on fiddle. Tremendous show. A friend of mine opened for them.

Cool, sadly I never had a chance to see the Dregs, though have seen Steve Morse perform quite a few times.

@cromulent thanks for posting Beato's video (y)

Cool, sadly I never had a chance to see the Dregs, though have seen Steve Morse perform quite a few times.

@cromulent thanks for posting Beato's video (y)

My first Steve Morse show was in Las Vegas in 1990, I think - he was touring behind his High Tension Wires album. The venue was a nightclub that has since gone the way of all flesh, but it was an off-Strip place where the smaller non-Vegas-y acts would play back when you needed to be much stodgier or a huge act to play Vegas. I also caught hair-metal also-rans Shotgun Messiah, and Eric Johnson, and TSOL, and weirdly, the Chick Corea Elektric Band there in the same timeframe.

Anyway, apparently there were some delays in getting the gear loaded in, so Morse asked the club to let the crowd in to drink during the soundcheck. So we had a half hour Steve Morse Band mini-concert, then the opening act. This was a last-minute fill-in for whoever was supposed to be there. His name was Tony White, and he played solo bass guitar - in 1990, when this was not A Thing that one could get away with in most venues. This one very large black man in a brilliant white suit, with a Steinberger and a mic, just destroyed the place. Tremendous. And then we got 2.5 hours of the Morse band. My hearing was compromised for a while thereafter, but it was worth it. Lineup was Morse, LaRue, and Van Romaine on drums.

And of course, a classic rock thread has to have at least one version of Smoke On The Water.

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water (Official Vinyl Video)

Smoke On The Water (Live In Osaka, Japan / 15th August 1972 / Original 1972 Mix)

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water at the Montreux Jazz Festival, 2007.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (50th Anniversary) [2023 Remaster] {Full Album}​

TRACKLISTING
0:00 Speak To Me
1:11 Breathe (In The Air)
3:57 On The Run
7:30 Time
14:35 The Great Gig In The Sky
19:19 Money
25:48 Us And Them
33:33 Any Colour You Like
36:59 Brain Damage
40:49 Eclipse

Last edited:
And of course, a classic rock thread has to have at least one version of Smoke On The Water.

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water (Official Vinyl Video)

Smoke On The Water (Live In Osaka, Japan / 15th August 1972 / Original 1972 Mix)

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water at the Montreux Jazz Festival, 2007.

Crucial to include a performance from Montreux, even if it's the Morse incarnation, not Blackmore. Woohoo!

Back