PNW techs

musicispeace

Just wanted to chime in as people continue to move to Seattle etc. This is very admittedly my own personal opinion and is certainly subjective. I have tried several techs in the Seattle area and have found most of them to be very stuck in vintage Fender and Gibson mindsets unless you are dealing with one who plays modern metal of some sort. The ones I have tried don't keep up with current components ("Whats a Wilkinson bridge?, "What are Bare Knuckle pickups?") and twice experienced people doing things to raw necks I specifically told them not to because they just could not accept a modern approach to something. One highly touted tech broke the head stock off the Les Paul copy I dropped off for a pickup change. Not have a string tree? Unheard of and heresy!

At this point, for anything I am not doing for myself, I have a guy in Tacoma who is so swamped I don't even want to mention him and he is presently not taking in new work. I would go with Tonyflyingsquirel or Cagey from this forum any time for something regarding parts built guitars, especially with Warmoth parts.

Your mileage with techs in the PNW may vary, but do be aware.

I had a guy in Olympia do the assembly of my latest build, and he really seemed to know his stuff and he did a good job. His name is Josh and he operates under the name Audiomanic Guitar Repair. I would highly recommend him. I specifically asked him to use wax on the screws when he assembled it, and he was very interested to hear about it and did exactly what I asked.

I agree....I have yet to find a tech in the PNW that floats my boat.

I am in Auburn, Wa under THE Guitar Whisperer, and I contract for a statewide music chain in addition to my own customers.
Pm me for contact and we can discuss what you have in mind.

I would almost think some luthier could come out specializing in partscasters considering Warmoth and others are all int the same area.

PS I visited Seattle last year and loved it, in fact I’m almost sad my gf and I are probably going to move to NYC just because with her job in advertising it would be unfair for her to work East coast hours about west.

Mike Lulls Guitar Works, probably the best tech in Washington state!

https://www.mikelull.com/

I highly recommend contacting TonyFlyingSquirrel on this forum. He was very easy to deal with, and did excellent work transforming my formerly case-dwelling Epiphone Les Paul '56 Pro to a new favorite player. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my wide-neck Telecaster copy.

I highly recommend contacting TonyFlyingSquirrel on this forum. He was very easy to deal with, and did excellent work transforming my formerly case-dwelling Epiphone Les Paul '56 Pro to a new favorite player. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my wide-neck Telecaster copy.
Thanks so much for entrusting this to me. It was a delight to work on this P90/Goldtop LP. I love just how much a fret level/crown/polish can transform the playability of an instrument. It’s one of my favorite tasks to perform. You Big Lou Tele copy with the 1 3/4” nut cutting from a Tusq blank was a lot of fun also!

Back