Please help make my first build a good one.

RmB303

Firstly - sorry for the long post, but I am very anxious to get this guitar right.
(Been lurking on this forum for quite some time . . .)

I'm about to make an order for my first build, and thought I'd make a post to see if I've made any glaring errors of incompatible parts, essential parts missing, or just stupid istakes on my part!

This is going to be a MIDI only guitar - so no pickups.
I'll be adding Graphtech piezo saddles, along with the Ghost MIDI system.
(Already have an Axon AX50, Behringer MIDI pedal board, plus all required cabling - and an Apple Powerbook running Reason)
Stuck a GK-3 on my 'very' cheap no-brand left-hand Strat to make sure it all works well together.

I'm going for a 'classy', very natural look - to confuse people when I play synth sounds from my laptop with it :-D

Here goes: -
BODY
One-piece, Swamp Ash, Left handed Strat (or Soloist), with rear routing
Contoured heel
720 mod
Transparent Vintage Tint Gloss
Routing for recessed Wilkinson Tremolo

NECK
Left hand Warmoth Pro, angled Strat, Maple neck
Standard thin contour
Rosewood fret-board
Graphtec Black TUSQ XL fitted nut
Vintage Tint Satin finish
Stainless steel frets SS6105
24 fret extension
Tuner holes for Schaller tuners

MISCELLANEOUS
Gold Wilkinson VS-100 tremolo (left handed)
Gold Neck Plate
Neck Plate Pad
Gold Neck Screws for contoured heel
Gold Schaller Strap Locks
Gold Schaller locking tuners (6 x Right)

I think that should be about it.
I don't know any guitar techs, and have no woodworking skills, so I want as much done by Warmoth as possible.
I do have an uncle who's a joiner, and my Dad is an electronic technician, so between us we ought to be able to fit the piezo/MIDI stuff.

QUESTIONS: -
I love the rounded feel of a Strat body, but am worried that I may not be able to reach the 24 fret extension unless I go for a soloist.
Just how 'flat' are the edges of a soloist body compared to a Strat?
They look a bit bulky to me - any opinions?

Will the fitted Graphtech nut be ok with an angled headstock?
I want the angled on so I have easy access to the truss-rod. (Left handers can't have the side-adjustment option).

I have been considering an ebony fret-board, but it's a bit dearer, and the 'blackness' may not go with the natural wood and gold colour scheme :-/
Also worried that the guitar may look a bit bare with nothing in between the fret-board extension and the bridge.

Would Warmoth be able to rout a larger side jack for the 13-pin hexaphonic output?

The guitar I'm most used to playing is a 1988 Japanese Fender Strat with the 6 screw tremolo.
No idea what the neck contour or fret size is for it is though (any ideas anyone?)

Any answers would be greatly appreciated as I have been mulling this guitar over in my head for at least six months now, and 'think' I have finally settled upon what I want.

Hey!  Welcome to the forum!!!

First: Do you like thick or thin necks?? I'd always tend to the thick side because of tone, but MOST players preffer it thin... The frets in your strat are big or small? You should learn a little better what are in the guitar that YOU like and go this way on the order...

I'm not really sure about the strat body and the cutaway... playing yours, do you feel like if there had 2 more frets you would be able to play it or not?? The size of your fingers/hand may be very important on this question...

I like these "no pickups" guitars with exotic woods top (in deed I prefer 95% of all guitars with exotic woo :laughing7:):
steve_moore.jpg

But it can look good on only swamp ash:
srini_padmanabhan.jpg

NonsenseTele said:
I like these "no pickups" guitars with exotic woods top (in deed I prefer 95% of all guitars with exotic woo :laughing7:):
steve_moore.jpg

it looks like a breast without a nipple... and we all know that a breast without a nipple is pointless :)

having said that, maybe you could add double f-holes to compensate for the lack of pickups.

The guitar I'm most used to playing is a 1988 Japanese Fender Strat with the 6 screw tremolo.
No idea what the neck contour or fret size is for it is though (any ideas anyone?

I have a 86 Japanese Strat, and it is one of the best necks I have ever played - the standard thin comes very close to this proflile

NonsenseTele said:
Marko said:
it looks like a breast without a nipple... and we all know that a breast without a nipple is pointless :)

:laughing7:

Hahaha so true.

But anyway, I dont think the contours have much to do with the 24 fret access, I think its just that the soloist's cutaways are deeper.

Does graphtec make piezo wilkinson saddles? :icon_scratch:

Thanks for all the help so far.

I kind of agree with the 'no nipples' thing.
Just looks a bit bare; but I'm only going to use the guitar as a MIDI controller, so what else could I put there?

rapfohl09 said:
Does graphtec make piezo wilkinson saddles? :icon_scratch:

They sure do ;-)
http://www.graphtech.com/product-54-2/
Only in black unfortunately...

How much difference does the soloist cutaway really make?
I'm just not really in love with the overall shape - looks a bit too clunky to me.
I like the roundedness of a Strat - the soloist looks too flat around the edges.

RmB303 said:
I have been considering an ebony fret-board, but it's a bit dearer, and the 'blackness' may not go with the natural wood and gold colour scheme :-/
No worries there about it matching natural colors.  Both the lighter and darker shades of ebony are used on acoustics and violins.

RmB303 said:
Just looks a bit bare; but I'm only going to use the guitar as a MIDI controller, so what else could I put there?

Errrrrrr...... Pickups    :icon_tongue:

RmB303 said:

I've got a Godin Multiac SA and I think it looks cool with no pickups.  Just do a nice finish without a pickguard.

You could always buy some classy pickup covers and throw them on there just for looks.

Also, always happy to see another lefty with some creative ideas! I hope to someday get a creative idea and join that club.  :toothy12:

Back