Pickups look "too new"

Audiowonderland

I would like to age humbuckers to better match an instrument.  Would something like a Scotchbrite pad be sufficient for removing the logos and taking the shine off of the bobbins? I was also considering maybe a drop of vinegar on the pole pieces to age those.  Other suggestions?

Well rule 1: if you don’t want new looking pickups, then do t buy new pickups LOL

Kidding aside:
Scotchbight unless the finest of fine grades is used will over kill.

I’d view removing logos as a separate process that I would do before other items.

I’ve heard vinegar can do this, but how do you tend to apply as that can do nasty stuff to other areas..

Tooth paste was often recommended on the Duncan forum for removing logos. I have never tried it and cannot vouch for its effectiveness or side effects

I'm with spud, just play the snot out of it and in two years it'll be old.

I used tape to peel the logos off some Seymour Duncans. Looks like they were never there.

Audiowonderland said:
I would like to age humbuckers to better match an instrument.  Would something like a Scotchbrite pad be sufficient for removing the logos and taking the shine off of the bobbins? I was also considering maybe a drop of vinegar on the pole pieces to age those.  Other suggestions?

You don't happen to own a blender do you?

Also, this probably should be under pickups

Audiowonderland said:
Also like the aged look, but if you have acidic sweat like me, just play the guitar outside a lot and you'll get tarnish in a matter of <10 gigs XD

bruzanhd said:
I used tape to peel the logos off some Seymour Duncans. Looks like they were never there.

What kind of tape?

I use specialized plastic polishing compound to remove the SD logo. But of course that doesn't age them.

uOpt said:
bruzanhd said:

What kind of tape?

I use specialized plastic polishing compound to remove the SD logo. But of course that doesn't age them.

I believe it was gorilla tape.

Back