Pickups for a Bass.. help

Kuro Uma

After building a few guitars my bass player buddy asked if we could make him a bass. I agreed and we went to the drawing board. Were looking to go with a 5 string, mahogany G5 body with a flamed maple laminate and a maple neck. He's kinda leaving the whole thing up to me. Now I know what I like and want in a guitar, pickups woods etc. But I don't really know much about bass pickups. Funny thing is even though this has been his main instrument for 20 years, he really doesn't know much about them either. He knows he likes the soapbar (humbucking?) type pickups over others he's tried. Other than that he has no brand preference. So since it's left to me, I'm trying to do his homework for him. I've been reading about a few possible options to fit this style route: EMG40, Norstrand DC's, Seymour Duncan ASB2 and Bartolini's. Also I know he prefers active.

I can only imagine this is like guitar pickups and certain models lend themselves to certain types of music or sounds better than others. So I should give background on what and how he plays. He uses a pick, doesn't care much for pop and slap style. Likes Jason Newsted and Nikki Sixx type playing. But he will primarily use this in a Texas Country type bar band.

So I'm open to suggestions about which pickups we should go with. I'd like him to be able to use it for his rock or country gigs.

Soapbars are just a generic sized case that could contain almost any arrangement of coils and a myriad of different tones. It's like saying, "he wants a red car".

"Active" could mean active PU's (like most EMG's, and some others), or somewhat more commonly, passive PU's with active preamp/EQ.

IOW, I think you need to get some more info. Does he know what basses have the kind of sound he likes?

The examples he gave me were like intro to "My Friend Of Misery" by Metallica or the intro to "Primal Scream" by Motley Crue.

Have him go to the local music store and try out a MusicMan Stingray.  See if he likes the sound.  Otherwise, a 5 string P is a solid choice, IMO.

A P-bass pickup is a good choice.  Also consider a nice dual-coil humbucking soapbar pickup at (or near) the neck position.  You should get enough fundamentals, thick midrange and crisp treble without any of the accentuated upper-midrange that most bridge pickups can produce.  Many rock and country bassists seem to favor the neck pickup.  This leaves a lot of room behind the pickup for picking technique, since there's no bridge pickup to hit.  A single pickup with a passive tone control gives a surprising amount of tonal flexibility, IMO.

Nordstrand makes the "Big Split" pickup which is hum-cancelling and has a big, ballsy tone that's crisp, deep and warm, somewhere between a Jazz and Precision bass vibe.  Another good choice would be SGD or Villex.

EDIT: I may have some 5-string pickups that I can loan you.  PM me if you're interested.

Wyliee said:
Have him go to the local music store and try out a MusicMan Stingray.  See if he likes the sound.  Otherwise, a 5 string P is a solid choice, IMO.
He lives in a podunk tiny town in the southeastern part of the state that has one music store. All they carry are Fender and Peavey's.

tubby.twins said:
Nordstrand makes the "Big Split" pickup which is hum-cancelling and has a big, ballsy tone that's crisp, deep and warm, somewhere between a Jazz and Precision bass vibe.  Another good choice would be SGD or Villex.

The body is already routed for that size pickups (EMG40/ASB2-5). After looking at Nordstrand Big Splits, it doesnt look like they will fit properly.

Anyone ever try the Nordstrand DC's? It appears they can be made in the dimensions of the EMG40? If so how close to that Big Split ballsy tone are they?

Wyliee said:

Dang ... you tease. You had me runnin' to the Official W site looking for a MM Stingray body.  :toothy10:

I don't think you'll ever see that one. EBMM swims with the sharks too.

Kuro Uma said:
The body is already routed for that size pickups (EMG40/ASB2-5). After looking at Nordstrand Big Splits, it doesnt look like they will fit properly.

Anyone ever try the Nordstrand DC's? It appears they can be made in the dimensions of the EMG40? If so how close to that Big Split ballsy tone are they?

Sorry - I must've missed that.  I think you can get the Big Splits made in that size as a custom order, especially if the string spacing is fairly narrow (~17mm).  You'd need to contact Nordstrand to find out for sure.

The Nordstrand DCs are going to sound more clean, refined, and possibly scooped in the midrange.  I don't think they're very similar at all.

I used Bartolini soapbars in my G4 build with thier 2 band active eq ,  they provide everything from deep thud to bright snap .  You can run them 9 or 18 v . 

Very pleased , easy install and long battery life

I've used EMGs in 2 builds, and although I like them, I won't be using them again very soon.  They are an active pickup, but there is no active EQing going on on the instrument.  The tone controls are passive, that is, they can only cut and not boost.  EMG does make active tone controls but theirs are also useable on passive pickups.

Since he knows he likes soapbars, I would pick the most popular soapbar size (solely for more choices), and get a good, passive set of soapbars.  Then get and active tone system.  You'll have to choose 2 or 3 band.  My $.02 would be 3 band because the biggest difference in bass tones are when the mids are scooped or boosted.

bummer the body already has the EMG shaped soapbar vs the more common Bart size. life would have been a lot easier if this could have been caught sooner

Nordstrand can custom wind their Big Singles into the EMG shaped cover. it's tight so they use a slightly thinner wire ... very cool sounding pickup in the right combo with everything else. make sure you let them know your bridge spacing so they get the pole pieces in the right locations

all the best,

R

Back