pickup suggestion for my next build?

Bob Hoover Ross

Hi folks,

I'm planning to build a Frankenbass from some spare parts I've got lying around, but, as I don't have any electronics in my spare parts pile I'm looking for some suggestions on what pickup might best help achieve my timbral goals.

The bass will be a fretless 5-string with a high C, built around a Warmoth "Big 5" bolt-on maple neck (lined ebony fingerboard, steel reinforcing bars, Kluson machines) and a Wilkinson bridge. Body will possibly be custom made by WattFab, though I may wind up just buying something from Warmoth.

The goal is to add a fretless instrument to my arsenal that is the complete opposite of my Rob Allen MB-2. iow, the MB-2 does the big fat warm, woody, upright emulation fabulously...and for most of my fretless work that's what I need. However, I'm now looking for something to do the twangy, growly, conspicuously electric, almost clichéd "Jaco-esque" fretless bass sound. Think Fender Jazz Bass, roundwound strings, bridge pickup only with the tone control rolled off. (I might even epoxy the fingerboard if I think I'm going to use this bass a lot.) The anti-Rob Allen, get it?

I'm leaning towards the idea of a single pickup, and I like the idea of a completely passive instrument too...but I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas? Thanks.

Back