Pickup rings for VIP?

ActualGenuine

I’ve got a VIP carved top on order (TOM/STP, angled pocket) and was just wondering if those bodies take flat or curved pickup rings.

Also, does a tall ring work for the bridge or can I get away with a low ring?

Thanks for any help.

Normally the top where the pickups/bridge are should essentially flat on those (it is on my carved Soloist bodies).

I did a VIP and mine wasn't flat because the shop who did the unusual finish had to try staining the top several times before getting it right, and I suspect it ended up being curved because of that:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29129.15
Can you try putting a ruler or anything flat to double check whether the top is flat around those humbuckers ?

I used Gibson USA pickup rings, and it looks like I used flat bottom ones anyways (so probably the ones for an SG rather than LP).
As you can see from the pictures in that thread (next page in the above link) the bridge pickup ring is a tall one and the humbucker still protrudes quite a bit.

I have a VIP and can tell you you need flat rings.
Now I have a wilky on mine and lows are needed.  It sure if a low would work for a TOM

Thanks, it turns out I have both types on hand, so I'll just wait to get the body and see what works out best.

Back