Pickup dilema

You have just restrung and set up your Stratocaster when that pickup you ordered shows up in the mai

• Wait until the strings need changing and install the pickup.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Ditch the strings. Install pickup NOW!!!!. New strings.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I can save them! Keep strings, Install pickup.

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
When I get a new pickup I always feel compelled to install it right away. Trying to change pickups with the strings on is too risky to me (risk of scratching the finish, especially if it's nitro), so I say screw it and take the strings off.

Easy:
  • Loosen the strings as much as possible.
  • Dump the bar for maximum slack.
  • Wrestle the pickguard out.
  • Scratch the finish with one of the pickguard mounting screws.

Then change the pickups and repeat the steps in reverse order to re-install.

Ironically, if your strings have either zero or two ball ends, you're in luck. If they have one.. you can probably save them.

The Aaron said:
Easy:

That IS the easiest part!

If you can afford Warmoth gear and aftermarket pickups, you can afford replacement strings

Definitely keep the strings. Either what Aaron said or (having locking tuners and) using tongs with full force wishing every time you had not cut the strings right at the tuner hole.

jay4321 said:
If you can afford Warmoth gear and aftermarket pickups, you can afford replacement strings

Yeah, yeah.
I probably have 5-6 y sets. Just the fact that the new set has barely 2 hours of playing time in them. Seems like a waste. Part of affording things is not doing unnecessary wasting of resources.

I wonder how many unopened string packs they’ll find in my house when I die. I know it won’t be zero

For a while I would throw in a pack of strings any time I needed to make $25 for free shipping on Amazon.
Then one day I started cleaning up the music room and tossing them all in the same box instead of wherever I stashed them as they came in. I might be opening my own music store soon.

I ended up installing new pickup and keeping the strings--with success.

so much success that I wore out the strings expeditiously.

The Aaron said:
Easy:
  • Loosen the strings as much as possible.
  • Dump the bar for maximum slack.
  • Wrestle the pickguard out.

You forgot scratching it a second time putting the pickguard back in place.  :icon_biggrin:

Back