picks

dbw

Master Member
Select all that apply and please elaborate.  :icon_thumright:

I generally play with Fender cellulose heavy or extra heavy picks, or with a stainless steel pick (drguitarpicks.com).  Occasionally I use my fingernails, but mostly when I can't find a pick.

The stainless pick is nice... I've gotten used to it because it lasts forever and it's tough to lose!  You got to be careful not to destroy the top of your guitar though.  It also tends to tear up my strings.  But it's got a really nice sound and feel.

None other heavy and light.

Light if i'm chording
Heavy if i'm playing fast
Other- (speedpick) with an angled tip for a different type of fast flaying.

Dunlop 88's exclusively. They're the green ones...they're mediumish.

Though recently I've been playing some stuff that a lighter pick would be useful.

I used Dunlop Tortex yellow (.73mm) for the last few years.  But, recently I switched over to the red nylon Dunlop Jazz III in 1.38mm sharp point.  It's a smaller pick but I like the feel.  It was a strangely easy transition from the 0.73mm.  Also, I find I get a cleaner sound with less pick noise. 

1153431100_NYLON_JAZZ_47R_GRP_463X342.jpg

I'm liking the heavy (1.5mm) or extra-heavy (2.0mm) dunlop gator grips.

Other than that, it's ebow or fingertips - I keep my nails short.

Blue313 said:

I played those for a while.  If you like them try Dunlop "Stubbies"... they're like the Jazz III's but thicker, harder, and smoother  :party07:

I use a light gauge extra large pick when I'm strumming chords, I do a lot of finger picking, and if I'm doing lead stuff I like a heavy pick with a pointy tip.  I use mediums sometimes too.  If I'm playing ukulele or banjo and I'm using a pick, I use a felt pick.  Most of the time I buy Dunlop Tortex because I like the powdery stuff they put on those, but I can't always find the pointy tipped ones.  

I want an Ebow!

1/2 dunlop tortex light pics, half with fingers. I used to be picky, but now the free picks they hand out everywhere are good enough for me. I'm going to get myself some thumbpicks soon and start playing around with them.

i like the dunlop tortex picks. The logo reminds me of something else I like, but that aside they are very awesome. My size preference has changed as my playing styles evolved, but dunlop was always good to me. They don't chip like celluloid picks.

Clayton acetal 0,50mm, the best pick I've ever used. Should be pointier though and not rounded!
When fingerpicking, I use my nails (I have good nails, much better than my girlfriend's).

I've been using red Dunlop Jazz III's for 10+ years.

I used to use Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm, but now find them too bulky and rough.

Although, for recording acoustic guitars I do switch back to cheapo super thin nylon picks.  It gives a nice tone while recording.  You really get the pick sound of strumming.

I like the Dunlop yellow tortex ones - they're medium. I also like Fender medium picks for a different feel and sound, but I don't like the way they wear out. I used to like the heavier green Dunlops when I mostly played metal. Now I don't like them as much. I find the Dunlops to be quieter on the string, but sometimes I like the harder scratchier sound of the old style picks. Depends on my mood. I actually have a ton of crappy Gibson medium picks and I like them OK. I go back and forth.

I use my fingers mainly but if i have a tune where i want to attack and solo i use
1153350908_DELRIN_500_STANDARD_410_250X185.jpg

If i am playing dobro and i need some volume i use
1153353873_NICKEL_SILVER_FINGERPICKS_copy_250X185.jpg

When playing lap steel i sometimes use
1153350800_CLEAR_D_PICKS_903_250X185.jpg

But alround i prefer just using my bones

:icon_smile:

Back