Pickguard material

Seamas

I have decided to refinish an old Aria Pro II bass that I have had for years and years.
I think I bought it at a thrift store in the late 80s for $100.
I never cared much for the look of it (natural finish, white PG, which I later customized with a collage).
That said, I have thought that a refinish with a darker stain and a redesign of the pickguard shape could make it look a bit different. The bass' shape is not all that bad).
It came with the standard P-Bass type pickup and wiring, which I will replace with new or better stuff.
Not sure if I will replace the bridge or not. I'll decide after giving it a good cleaning.

Anyway-
I am entertaining using something unconventional for the pickguard and are searching for ideas. Something that I could do with a jig saw and hand tools.
I really like the idea of copper, and how it tarnishes, but the cost of the material is prohibitive.

Open to strange or oddball suggestions, provided they don't entail major felonies, crimes against nature or violations of the laws of physics.

Copper is fun to work with, made a copper strat PG a while back.. Got the material from feebay relatively cheap...

Also G10 is a fun material, used for knife scales and gun grips... :dontknow:

How 'bout some old-school Space Age Formica?

https://oldtrailer.com/vintage-laminate-styles.html

wilson-art-laminate-retro-pattern-y0071.jpg

formica-laminate-retro-pattern-9495.jpg

wilson-art-laminate-retro-pattern-y0007.jpg

Seamas said:
Open to strange or oddball suggestions, provided they don't entail major felonies, crimes against nature or violations of the laws of physics.
I've been entertaining the idea of making a PG out of saddle leather. Maybe tool something interesting on it. Much like an 1880's holster. This is a copy of one made then.

xdVX50H.jpg

You wouldn't want the leaf on this PG I found on ebay but the idea is there.

s-l1600.jpg

Rgand said:
Seamas said:
I've been entertaining the idea of making a PG out of saddle leather. Maybe tool something interesting on it. Much like an 1880's holster. This is a copy of one made then.

xdVX50H.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
cool idea... :icon_thumright:

Leather would be cool.  You could get a shoemaker to cut it.  Then there's Lucite.  Aluminum.  Maybe thin sheet of stone. Or Cambria.  Sound proof paint.

vetteman said:
I always thought a pickguard out of real alligator leather would be cool. :turtle:
I think I still have a piece of my dads 84 Corvette he wrecked, maybe could make a pg from it... :laughing7:

I'll pile on for the leather. Copper would be attractive, but the stuff is no fun at all to work with, then you have the oxidizing thing to deal with. Not that leather would be any walk in the park or take age well either, but...

I think the "copper" 'guards I've seen haven't actually been copper - they've been anodized aluminum. Much easier to work, plus I think you can buy those ready-made.

DangerousR6 said:
Rgand said:
Seamas said:

xdVX50H.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
cool idea... :icon_thumright:
I keep thinking about it and one of these days I'll have exactly the one it will go on.

Rick said:
Leather would be cool.  You could get a shoemaker to cut it.
You can borrow my round knife. :laughing11:

ko3VfP8.jpg

Rgand said:
Seamas said:

Agree! I keep thinking about a leather pick guard 👍
Especially with a weather worn body, worn tooled leather....nice!

xdVX50H.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Cagey said:
I'll pile on for the leather. Copper would be attractive, but the stuff is no fun at all to work with, then you have the oxidizing thing to deal with. Not that leather would be any walk in the park or take age well either, but...

I think the "copper" 'guards I've seen haven't actually been copper - they've been anodized aluminum. Much easier to work, plus I think you can buy those ready-made.
39099968361_3157fab506_k.jpg

Cagey said:
I'll pile on for the leather. Copper would be attractive, but the stuff is no fun at all to work with, then you have the oxidizing thing to deal with.

The age/ patina is part of the reason I am interested in copper.

Would that be detrimental to any of the function of the electronics? Or would it effect the other parts, wood?

I am also considering an acid etch. It's been years (decades) since I have done it. I did etching (printmaking) in college. We used zinc plates.
Would a zinc plate be more/less useful than steel? I imagine it is easier to etch.

I've played guitars that had metal etched, huge pickguards, forget the brand,  it had no effect on the sound.  I wanna say Zemectas but that's probably wrong.

Rick said:
I've played guitars that had metal etched, huge pickguards, forget the brand,  it had no effect on the sound.  I wanna say Zemectas but that's probably wrong.

Zematis...

Beloved of pre-Stones Ron Wood

[youtube]UrOPJXrUWII[/youtube]

Seamas said:
Would that be detrimental to any of the function of the electronics? Or would it effect the other parts, wood?

Not that I'm aware of.

Back