"Pay It Forward" classifieds. What they mean....

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Master Member
I began doing this with gear no longer being used as a means of lightening the burden of caring for extra gear not in use.  I found over time that the greater benefit is in seeing someone else who may have limited resources benefit from the generosity of one who has been blessed with such resources, so that all of us may experience an equality in our resourcefulness.
I've lost track of how much gear I've given away, and I think that's a good thing, as someone else is now making music with some of the things I've donated.  Just this weekend I gave away my first Arturia 49 key controller that I bought some 6 years ago when I traded in my Alesis QS7 in order to go entirely "in the box".  I have since been given 3 controllers by Arturia as a beta tester.  My friend had been using an iRig small controller with his ipad and had recently been gifted a MacBook.  This gift came quite timely for him, and he was extremely grateful.  I had been a recipient of his generosity in the past with an ipod & a condenser mic, so I was extremely pleased to give it to him.  My great gift in this experience is in seeing someone find inspiration in a newly attained, useful item to them.  It blesses me greatly to have a part in this.

Your gifts to other musicians can have a significant impact on their musical journey.  If you can part with it without benefitting financially, I encourage you to "Pay It Forward" as some folks here have done, and I assure you, you will have an impact that is quite memorable for you, as well as the recipient.

It truly is better to give than to receive!

Well said. I gave a bunch of stuff to a Music School in London, a few years ago. No point on holding onto stuff that may not be so easy to sell but that others can benefit from.

"Happiness isn't real unless shared."

I have regretted parting ways with some of the stuff I have sold, but never have I missed anything I've given away... Well, almost never; I still go to visit the Taylor I left at my Dad's house now and then haha!

I just want to add that (for me at least) it isn't about putting a feather in my cap or acting like "Look at me in all my abundance being sooo benevolent to the down-trodden less-fortunates." It has more to do with just spreading the fun. "They are like me, and I had fun with this, so they'll probably have fun with this, too." Of course, if someone who wouldn't otherwise get to have this or that without it being gifted to them is helped, that is cool, but also just icing on the cake. For this guy, though, true acts of charity have to be very anonymous in order for me to not screw it up somehow!

I hate to admit this, but I am not quite so humble as you. I sometimes give stuff away for the adulation- "Hey, look at that guy- he must be ace"! :dontknow:

I look at it this way.
In some way or another, everything I have has been given to me, right down to skills, abilities, and the employment in which to maintain said gifts.
The house I live in was made possible by my father leaving me a house 2 states away that I was able to sell & use the down for my current house.  There's an empty seat at the table in my house as my father is no longer with me. 
I've had cars given to me over the past 35 years, guitars, amps, effects, gear galore.

I am the recipient of someone else "paying it forward" so repeating that action is the least that I can do if I am no longer benefitting from something that someone else would be better off benefitting from.

Giving back is my way of expressing my gratitude.  That's all.  No pat on the back, I'm not interested in that.  Seeing someone use what they've received with joy is thanks enough.  The only reason I posted this thread is for others to consider the same, for the benefit of others.

@ arealken: I don't think there is a single one among us that hasn't been there/done that. Just in saying so about yourself here shows character. -Admittedly, It is only by experience with both attitudes that I know that my ego will get in the way and rob me of the real payback if I don't actively shut that crap down with some anonymity!

@TFS: Just for the record, I never assumed for a second that you were seeking pats on the back! Your heart of gold shines through your every post, and is an inspiration IMO.

Back