Paste Wax (and no other finish)?

Bob Hoover Ross

An acquaintance on another forum showed me a bass he'd built using an unfinished body, and the only treatment he applied was "Butcher's Boston Polish Amber Paste Wax" He says he sanded the body to 320 grit, applied two coats of this paste wax, polished [sic] it with paper towels, and that was it. It's lasted over 20 years with no subsequent reapplication/polishing. And it looks gorgeous!

Anyone here ever do this? Any downside to a paste wax-only finish? Is there a better paste wax to use than this Butcher's Boston stuff?

I've already proven to myself that I have neither the experience nor the patience to apply traditional finishes easily or successfully, so this sounds appealing due to the low labor requirements. I have an alder+maple bodied Warmoth bass that I've been procrastinating about finishing precisely because I suck at DIY finishing!

Will I screw this up too? Should I not even bother, i.e., is paste wax a bad idea? Thanks.

well, that's an interesting idea for sure.  I have zero experience, but I'm tempted to get a can of that wax and give it a try on some scrap!

I imagine that if you sweat a lot, and some of us do, you might have to re-apply it every now and again.

Only did that on furniture, and it looks gorgeous, particular on oak.  Yes, you have to, probably once year, replenish it.  Thing is you're not sweating on the oakpiece and if you spill anything you have to clean it up because the second spill will penatrate into the wood.

Warwick use a beeswax type finish on thier natural basses. So paste wax sounds like a similar proposition.

I have used paste wax on wooden handles on tools  (which are mostly fruitwood) and other things around the workshop.
It can work out fin depending on the type of wood, but I would not expect anything close to a hard finish.

It all depends on what you want to get out of the finish.

I've watched a lot of wood turning videos on youtube and they often just apply a coat of wax, even for cups and mugs which will presumably get a fair amount of abuse. So I've wondered if these kind of waxes would work on guitars.

Follow-up to this query: Any opinions, observations, factoids or whatnot on the difference(s) between this Butcher's Boston Polish Amber Paste Wax and a product more typically used on guitars/basses such as Howard's Feed-N-Wax?

As per my OP, I have an alder+maple bodied Warmoth bass that is still unfinished, and I'm looking for the simplest, least labor-intensive, least skill- or precision-required method of putting some kind of finish on the raw wood. Thx

I've watched a lot of wood turning videos on youtube and they often just apply a coat of wax, even for cups and mugs which will presumably get a fair amount of abuse. So I've wondered if these kind of waxes would work on guitars.
A friend of mine is deep into wood turning and teaching wood turning. I asked him about things like cups, goblets, etc. He said they are purely decorative and never see liquid.

Follow-up to this query: Any opinions, observations, factoids or whatnot on the difference(s) between this Butcher's Boston Polish Amber Paste Wax and a product more typically used on guitars/basses such as Howard's Feed-N-Wax?

As per my OP, I have an alder+maple bodied Warmoth bass that is still unfinished, and I'm looking for the simplest, least labor-intensive, least skill- or precision-required method of putting some kind of finish on the raw wood. Thx

Perhaps get some of the Warwick Surface Finisher (Beeswax based) product I mentioned in post #4 above.

Any finish requires some time and effort to get a reasonable result, but this should meet your criteria.

You can get a small bottle of Tru oil for around $5. Just use pieces of an old t-shirt and apply at least 5 coats, let it dry and you're done.

Michael

I used pure Tung oil on a couple necks followed by Johnsons paste wax and they turned out great. They feel smooth with no stickiness and seem to get better with age.

Back