Painting a chrome mini toggle black?

ChrisMC

Hey there everyone, this one should hopefully be a simple ask:

I couldn’t find any black 4PDT mini toggles, so I had to go with a chrome one. All the other hardware on my build is going to be black (Floyd Rose, switch tip, knobs, nut, machine heads, even the side mount output jack...all black).

If I don’t paint it, it will be the only chrome colored thing on the guitar and I think it’s going to bother me.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what paint I might try, that will not just rub off right away, to get it to match the rest of the guitar?

I thought maybe I could just keep a Sharpie marker in the case and just keep reapplying it until the honeymoon phase wears off with the new build, and after awhile I probably won’t even care, but I wanted to ask.

I’m thinking I’d want to hand paint it rather than a rattle can, but if anyone knows, I’m listening. Thanks!

Those things are nickel plated and very difficult to paint. 

Why not just get one with a black actuator?  Like this one:

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Apem/4649A22UU?qs=dPqXcYtvQSfXTcgPkDuQvQ%3D%3D

4649a22uu_SPL.jpg

If it is metal, scotchbrite then self-etching primer then epoxy paint may stick. May.

How about dipping it in some black liquid rubber or plastic stuff?

Bill, tgo

Paint absolutely will not stick. What about the rubber boots for mini toggles?
s-l500.jpg

This is a black 4pdt toggle but it's not mini - size or price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-3-way-Maxi-Toggle-Switch-Black-On-4PDT/323999882422?hash=item4b6fe5dcb6:g:FkcAAOSw8EJf0KGZ

LOL.....$37 + $117 shipping. That’s definitely not mini-priced.  :toothy10:

So...the 4PDT’s I bought came with the rubber boots already, and had considered using them, but wanted to investigate paint first. I guess I’ll use the rubber boots, problem solved and it will look clean...until the rubber disintegrates, but hopefully that will be awhile down the road.

Thank you for all the responses everyone!

Assuming the hole for this switch isn’t yet drilled, couldn’t you use a Fender S-1 switch instead? That is the pot with the special knob that functions as a 4 pole switch. The switching is there and you won’t need to clutter the body with a mini switch.
Just replace your volume pot with this pot/switch and you’re done.
You use the switch function by pressing the volume ”plate”.

Pot.jpg

005-9267-029-01.jpg

Logrinn said:
Assuming the hole for this switch isn’t yet drilled, couldn’t you use a Fender S-1 switch instead? That is the pot with the special knob that functions as a 4 pole switch. The switching is there and you won’t need to clutter the body with a mini switch.
Just replace your volume pot with this pot/switch and you’re done.
You use the switch function by pressing the volume ”plate”.

Pot.jpg

005-9267-029-01.jpg

Yeah, I know those are 4PDT, but that knob is all wrong for the aesthetic on this build, and as far as I know, because it has the push button integrated into the top of the switch, don’t you pretty much have to use the knob/top “plate” that it comes with?

Either way, no, the holes are not drilled for controls (at least I hope they’re not!) other than the 5 way blade and screw holes, but this one definitely isn’t getting Fender style knobs.

Thanks though, that’s good info for others to see if they didn’t know about the S1.

Back