Output jacks for soloist?

boon

I love the look of the barrell jacks, but are they too long for a strat/sololist? Does anybody out there make a shallower version?

Barrel jacks have a nut on the back so you need the length to reach the inside of the control cavity to attach them to the guitar.

Side note, barrel jacks are always a headache. they wear out all the time on me so I stopped using them. YMMV of course.

They are not too long but they are not a very robust option.

I use the gotoh "football" jack plate with a switch craft jack. Or an electrosocket on teles with a switch craft jack

Thank you. So the radius of the "football" fits the soloist shape? Should I order the 7/8"(22mm) hole?

Thank you. So the radius of the "football" fits the soloist shape? Should I order the 7/8"(22mm) hole?

I think I would favor with the smaller 3/4" (19mm) route for the footback jack. Warmoth says the football jack plate will fit either, but the larger 7/8" (22mm) hole is generally for Tele style jacks like the Electrosocket or good ol' Tele cup jack. But there may be others here with more experience on it.

I think I would favor with the smaller 3/4" (19mm) route for the footback jack. Warmoth says the football jack plate will fit either, but the larger 7/8" (22mm) hole is generally for Tele style jacks like the Electrosocket or good ol' Tele cup jack. But there may be others here with more experience on it.
It’s close enough and I order all mine with 7/8” hole

I've not had any problem fitting any shape of jack plate over a 7/8". I've done football (or rugby ball for those outside of the USA ;) ), square, and rectangle.

I know it seems sacrilege but.. I'm tired of hunting for the football on my Schecter. All future bodies I order are getting a strat jack. I'm NOT a fan of the straight top jacks though (pbass, SG)

I know it seems sacrilege but.. I'm tired of hunting for the football on my Schecter. All future bodies I order are getting a strat jack. I'm NOT a fan of the straight top jacks though (pbass, SG)
Agree about straight top jacks, but at least they can take a 90 degree plug, which the Strat jack can’t really handle. (I prefer using a 90 degree connector on my instrument cable at the guitar end.) I like the side jack; on my incoming Tele body, I went with the 7/8” side rout and will be installing the football jack plate. I thought about the Electrosocket cup, but the Tele replacement body doesn’t have a flat place on the side for the cup to mount flush, so it would take some work to get it flush, and a 90 degree connector is still problematic. I also ruled out the Fishman Greg Koch Gristle-Tone pickups partially for the same flush mount issue, as they have an Electrosocket-style jack with the micro-USB charging connector and charge state LED that would have had the same flush mount issue. (The other issue with those pickups is I ultimately decided I wanted to go with something more conventional and passive, to make swaps easier in the future.)

Back