Opinions on a couple of neck questions...

pwrmac7600

So I recently completed my build of my Warmoth Tele Deluxe, and I am now questions my neck choices.
On the build I ended up going with a showcase neck that was 1 5/8th nut width with a standard thin contour and 10"-16" compound radius.

Originally I was going to go with the 59 roundback contour, as the majority of my other guitars are Les Pauls, the most comfortable of which all have 59 profile necks.

The issue I am having is I am getting cramping in my thumb when playing any type of barre chords. I just can't figure out if it is the smaller profile, or the smaller nut width that is causing this.
My debate was to go back and reorder a new neck that was 1 11/16th with a 59 round back profile since it is pretty much what I am used to. But then again I have a few Solar guitars which are 1 11/16th and more of a wizard profile, and these feel really comfortable to me as well. Which starts to make mean lean more towards the fact that it my be the nut width that is causing my cramping?
I don't really feel the radius has anything to do with this issue as my Les Pauls are all 12" radius, and my Solar guitars are 16" radius, and I feel no discomfort switching between then whatsoever.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!

My advice would be this:

If that neck isn't working for you, I'd remove it, sell it, recoup some of your money back and buy a neck that does.

As you mentioned that you are comfortable with up to a 16" radius, the radius shouldn't be a problem. One factor that you didn't weigh in on is fret size. While it is probably not the issue here, depending on how you play, the fret size can cause your hands to hurt as well. I think that more than likely your problem is in the neck profile  the nut or a combo of both. I would probably custom order a neck that is more to your normal preferences that you like. 59 profile, wider nut, whatever fret size is your favorite, etc.

AcrylicSuperman said:
My advice would be this:

If that neck isn't working for you, I'd remove it, sell it, recoup some of your money back and buy a neck that does.

As you mentioned that you are comfortable with up to a 16" radius, the radius shouldn't be a problem. One factor that you didn't weigh in on is fret size. While it is probably not the issue here, depending on how you play, the fret size can cause your hands to hurt as well. I think that more than likely your problem is in the neck profile  the nut or a combo of both. I would probably custom order a neck that is more to your normal preferences that you like. 59 profile, wider nut, whatever fret size is your favorite, etc.

Fret size is 6150. But as with the radius,I have guitars with varying fret size as well and that has never really bothered me either. I am definitely leaning at it being a combo of nut width and profile. I'm going to leave it for now and keep playing on it and see how I adjust. Then worst case I'll order up a custom neck and once I get it and see how it feels I'll sell off this one.
Thanks for your input.

As a couple of us noted in this thread, shallow necks do lead to hand cramps for some of us. 
In my own experience, nut width is never the culprit; I can play on necks of any nut width from 40mm to 48mm without cramping as long as the neck is thick enough. I'm fine right down to the thickness of an ESP or Jackson neck, but the moment I pick up something in Ibanez territory my hand cramps. Even the 'thicker' Wizard III profile cramps my hand within 20 seconds or so. For me, Warmoth's Standard Thin is right at the limits of how thin I can go, as it is most similar to ESP/Jackson/Charvel necks. Though I don't get cramps with that kind of neck, I do favour a fully round C or very soft V 50s Les Paul or Telecaster neck in order to be most comfortable.

That said, if you do have 'wizard' necks that you're okay with, and if the cramping is mostly in your thumb specifically, I would hazard a guess that it's the shape of the neck causing your cramping rather than the depth or width. It could be that your thumb wants something that is either a properly round C (the '59) or a properly flat U (Wizard), and the mongrel D shape of the Standard Thin is the source of your discomfort. 

In any case, if a neck isn't comfortable—let alone causing pain—then don't continue playing it. Muscle and joint strain is no joke and can develop very quickly. Ditch the neck while it's still in good condition and someone else can make use of it and get yourself a neck you can play without issue. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from trying to force your hands to do something they don't like.

I always seem to be the outlier when it comes to hand cramping discussions, and here's why. Everything I own is either Wizard or Standard Thin profile, and my hands start cramping if I go any thicker than that.

I've tried the 59 Roundback profile a few times and I like the feel of it at 1 5/8" width but after a couple songs the middle of my palm starts to cramp. I have large hands and long fingers so I suppose that the additional reach to get onto my fingertips is what's causing it. Either way, I'm a big fan of the Wizard shape and stick with that for almost everything I get from Warmoth.

Ace Flibble said:
As a couple of us noted in this thread, shallow necks do lead to hand cramps for some of us. 
In my own experience, nut width is never the culprit; I can play on necks of any nut width from 40mm to 48mm without cramping as long as the neck is thick enough. I'm fine right down to the thickness of an ESP or Jackson neck, but the moment I pick up something in Ibanez territory my hand cramps. Even the 'thicker' Wizard III profile cramps my hand within 20 seconds or so. For me, Warmoth's Standard Thin is right at the limits of how thin I can go, as it is most similar to ESP/Jackson/Charvel necks. Though I don't get cramps with that kind of neck, I do favour a fully round C or very soft V 50s Les Paul or Telecaster neck in order to be most comfortable.

That said, if you do have 'wizard' necks that you're okay with, and if the cramping is mostly in your thumb specifically, I would hazard a guess that it's the shape of the neck causing your cramping rather than the depth or width. It could be that your thumb wants something that is either a properly round C (the '59) or a properly flat U (Wizard), and the mongrel D shape of the Standard Thin is the source of your discomfort. 

In any case, if a neck isn't comfortable—let alone causing pain—then don't continue playing it. Muscle and joint strain is no joke and can develop very quickly. Ditch the neck while it's still in good condition and someone else can make use of it and get yourself a neck you can play without issue. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from trying to force your hands to do something they don't like.

Thanks for the input. lol I wasn't so much looking at forcing my hands to like it as much as seeing if my hands adjust to it. I truthfully am not looking at giving it long to see if my hand adjusts, just long enough to ensure it wasn't just me having a few bad hand days.
I don't play as much as I used to nowadays, and since I was in my late 20's i have fought issues with my left hand. I used to have to soak my left hand in warm water before playing gigs because it would sometimes bother me so bad. So I do tend to still have what i call bad hand days, where it bothers me more than it does on other days.
Sucks getting old! lol

Back