One-Piece Roasted Maple

NedRyerson

Paddle headstock to be shaped later.  White pearloid supernova inlays, 6230 (vintage small) nickel frets.  I've never played anything with frets this tiny before, so we'll see what happens.  Probably gonna need some lighter strings than I'm used to.

Attachments

• 2022-04-16 20.44.49.jpg
    2022-04-16 20.44.49.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 119
  • 2022-04-16 20.45.06.jpg
    2022-04-16 20.45.06.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 2022-04-16 20.45.35.jpg
    2022-04-16 20.45.35.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 2022-04-16 20.46.11.jpg
    2022-04-16 20.46.11.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2022-04-15 13.30.33.jpg
    2022-04-15 13.30.33.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 74
ragamuffin said:
Looks stellar! What kind of headstock shape are you going to cut?

A rounded rocket-like shape.  Like the Gibson Flying V, but rounded sides instead of straight sides.

Because it's something new, my daughter immediately started playing with it, calling it her "spatula."  After she went to bed, I claimed it back.  Just now, she was wandering around, disappointed that she lost her "spatula."

Pretty damn expensive spatula, if you ask me.... :D

Nice dang neck there Ned!

Except for my Fender, which came with narrow / tall frets, I only play 6230s because I handle strats and acoustic axes similarly and so I match every to my Martin.

The Fender was good for teaching me to fret lightly, heavy fingers on that axe result in everything being out of tune.

NedRyerson said:
ragamuffin said:
Looks stellar! What kind of headstock shape are you going to cut?

A rounded rocket-like shape.  Like the Gibson Flying V, but rounded sides instead of straight sides.

Because it's something new, my daughter immediately started playing with it, calling it her "spatula."  After she went to bed, I claimed it back.  Just now, she was wandering around, disappointed that she lost her "spatula."

Pretty damn expensive spatula, if you ask me.... :D

Ned, you only get one childhood. I think you should just let her have it !

Heh Ned, take a look at the Brian May headstock. It may give inspiration.  If you need measurements, let me know.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with Ned.

Speaking of expensive spatulas I saw this a few days ago 1st April and thought it somewhat serendipitous to this thread.

This Spatula Cost Me $33,000!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEl4QMrBp0[/youtube]

"Why buy it for $40 when you can make it yourself for $150 worth of materials and tools?"
  :icon_biggrin:

TBurst Std said:
Heh Ned, take a look at the Brian May headstock. It may give inspiration.  If you need measurements, let me know.

Closer to what I'm planning.  I've attached my initial drawing below, though I may change the position of the holes once I see it live (and also do the test placement of the actual tuners when they're in my hands).

EDIT: and now that I look at this a little more closely, I can see that the D & G tuners are a little closer to the edge relatively compared to the low & high Es.

Attachments

• headstock_plan.png
    headstock_plan.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 47
NedRyerson said:
TBurst Std said:

Closer to what I'm planning.  I've attached my initial drawing below, though I may change the position of the holes once I see it live (and also do the test placement of the actual tuners when they're in my hands).
Ahhhh, sorta like the Jackson Roswell Rhodes.... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
NedRyerson said:
TBurst Std said:

EXACTLY!  I can't afford a real Roswell Rhoads, so I might as well make something close enough ;)  I did ask my wife her opinion on the tuner buttons, showing her the knurled knobs that come on the Roswell, and she said kidney-bean fits better for the aesthetic I was going for.

NedRyerson said:
DangerousR6 said:
NedRyerson said:
TBurst Std said:

EXACTLY!  I can't afford a real Roswell Rhoads, so I might as well make something close enough ;)  I did ask my wife her opinion on the tuner buttons, showing her the knurled knobs that come on the Roswell, and she said kidney-bean fits better for the aesthetic I was going for.
:headbang:

NedRyerson said:
DangerousR6 said:
NedRyerson said:
TBurst Std said:

s-l1600.jpg

NedRyerson said:
"Why buy it for $40 when you can make it yourself for $150 worth of materials and tools?"
  :icon_biggrin:

Indeed I think it is sometimes what we tend to end up doing  :icon_thumright:

Very nice neck. I have always liked the supernova design, I just wish it were available in more colors.

I like that Jetsons style flying V the other guy posted, very futuristic looking.

I really like this. Love roasted maple necks, and never decide which goes better for inlays, white or black. I keep defaulting to black but love the way yours looks. Maybe for my next one. I do wish Warmoth did the half moon side of the neck fret makers too.

Back