Nut File Questions

ghostrider25

I've never worked on the nut before and I've decided to give it a try, but I'm a bit lost on the appropriate files.

Most of my guitars are 9-42 gauge strings. I do have one that I string 10-52 which could probably benefit from a little work on the G-string nut slot, but I could live without fixing it, if I had to. Covering 9-42 would be most important to me so:

1. What size files would I need for 9-42 vs 10-52?

It doesn't seem like the file sizes line up with the string gauges in an intuitive way, but I'm a n00b at nut filing so maybe I'm missing something.

2. Is there a set out there that you can recommend for 9-42?

I'm not doing this for a living so I don't need a $300 set or whatever. Something $100 or less that can do a good job would be reasonable to me.

Here's a set that I was looking at which is designated as being for "Super Light" strings.

Thanks in advance!

You can get away with either and still have a perfectly serviceable nut - in fact, if your technique is not perfect, you’ll probably wiggle the smaller files enough to accommodate a larger string. You can also just use the 10-46 set for the 9-42s and it won’t really harm the final playability.

They’re a one time investment for any hobbyist level luthier and it’s worth getting a nice set. I can personally recommend Uo-Chikyu Hiroshima files. You have a decision to make on whether you want flat or tapered files; the latter will certainly provide enough wiggle room for you to do both 9s and 10s with the same file.

You can get away with either and still have a perfectly serviceable nut - in fact, if your technique is not perfect, you’ll probably wiggle the smaller files enough to accommodate a larger string. You can also just use the 10-46 set for the 9-42s and it won’t really harm the final playability.

They’re a one time investment for any hobbyist level luthier and it’s worth getting a nice set. I can personally recommend Uo-Chikyu Hiroshima files. You have a decision to make on whether you want flat or tapered files; the latter will certainly provide enough wiggle room for you to do both 9s and 10s with the same file.

Thank you!

Back