November 2011 Submissions - Guitar/Bass of the Month

GOM

Greetings,

I'm pleased to announce the November, 2011 Guitar of the Month contest.  November's contest will be for "Owner Finished" instruments.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent, to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.

In turn, those images will posted to this message, which is November's submission thread. 

Submissions will be accepted from November 1st to November 7th, so get your cameras clicking!

All discussion for the submissions can take place below, along with other pictures hosted by the poster. 

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

Guitar #1: Eric Banjitar

This unique instrument was dreamed of, designed, built, wired and finished by the owner as his first attempt at building an instrument.  The stain was mixed and applied using dyes and mineral spirits. The finish is a rattle-can nitro-cellulose lacquer hand rubbed with polishing compound.

The neck is a Warmoth flame-maple angled-paddle, standard shape 10/16, gold 6105 frets, rosewood fretboard with Graph Tech Black nut.  It has Gold,locking Schaller tuners.  The headstock was designed, shaped and carved by owner/builder.  The design was influenced (obviously, I guess) by a mandolin.

All banjo parts were purchased from Gold Tone Musical Instruments: 6 string "es" tailpiece, aluminum tone rim (I polished the contact surface), gold 8" tension hoop. I handmade a compensated 5/8" radius bridge  (Pictures can be found at:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=15886.45 )and a 10" clear Mylar drum head.

This banjo has a stereo output running two separate circuits.One side of the output(transducer) feeds an acoustic amp (Acoustic AG60), the other leg goes to effects and then a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. The pickups are switched with a three-way switch (neck, both, body ). Each pickup has its own volume pot.  There are no tone knobs. Tone comes from amps/effects. The Neck pickup is a Lollar Vintage tele framed by a gold, reversed strat flange. All flanges are recessed to flush. The EMG-HZ  pick up is modified with a under-the-pickup spring and bolting configuration designed to force the pickup firmly onto the underside of the head as far toward the neck as possible. The EMG HZ pickup is coil tapped with a push/pull knob.  The acoustic pickup is a newly installed Schatten  bj-02. It gives a nearly perfect banjo sound which is then blended (or not) with the electric tone. Yum.

The back of the body is a book-matched quilted maple. With a transparent head installed, you can see the quilted maple of the back through the head from the front.  The front is a hippie-sandwich of swamp ash, and walnut with cherry and maple veneer stripes. The middle (between back and front of guitar body) is mahogany. This guitjo-banjitar monster weighs nearly 10 pounds (lots of metal parts). It can sound clean and very banjo-like or sound more like an electric guitar and the transitions are blend-able using volume knobs and foot pedals. It is fast to play and sounds as unique as it looks.

Thanks for all the help, advice and encouragement from forum-folk and Warmoth employees. You guys rock!

ericbanjitar01.jpg

ericbanjitar02.jpg

Guitar #2: By Shawn Erdman

This VIP has a flame maple top w/brown dye and mahogany body w/transparent red stain. Padouk (or padauk) neck matches the red back nicely, with rosewood fretboard to match the brown front. Seymour Duncan P/Us, Gotoh 510 bridge, Grover Rotomatics and poly final finish. All finishing materials, knobs, switches, and electronics purchased from Stewmac.

shawnerdman01.jpg

shawnerdman02.jpg

Guitar #3: by AtoZguitars

Battar:  This is a guitar I always thought would be cool since I was in High school. It is sized pretty similar to a Les Paul.  This is the first guitar I ever built from scratch (aside from the neck).  The neck is a Warmoth LP style neck with maple back and Jet black ebony Fretboard, Gloss finish.

Pickups are Seymour Duncan Jazz model and Pearly Gates.    I did the paintwork myself (Owner finished).  The paint is Automotive grade Urethane base paint.  Everything is actually painted on under the clear coat.

a2z02.jpg

a2z01.jpg

Guitar #4: by dmraco (WITHDRAWN)

WhiteKorina/Zebrawood strat
Floyd Rose
P-Rails Pickups
Maple neck w/rosewood
Gotoh mini tuners
Wood was tinted with a combo of Dye and Stain to have the woods match in color tone.  Project was finished in Satin Poly.

Guitar #5: by dmraco

All maple tele
Poor mans faded blue jean burst
gloss poly spray finish
Maple neck with a worn finish, rosewood
Duncan ‘59  in bridge and single coil in neck.
5 position switch to coil tap and change phase.
reliced (played gold hardware)

dmraco2.jpg

dmraco3.jpg

Guitar #6: by Marko

MIJ Fender Neck
Hollow Warmoth Body
Tru Oil Finish with an Amber Dye on the top
Fender Pickups
FR II Bridge
all other hardware from Warmoth

marco1.jpg

marco2.jpg

Guitar #7: by Joe Rybicki (DISQUALIFIED)

1st Warmoth build. showcase blue dye-washed body with blue pearl shell pickguard. usa fender bridge, q-parts abalone ringo knobs, shaller straplocks, with a acme tone shaper circuit board tone controls. ( J.R. engraved jackplate ).
  Neck is a showcase Warmoth pro black korina neck, german schaller locking tuners with black ebony fretboard and ss 6150 frets and abalone dot inlays! Pickups are red, emerald and gold lace sensors.

:eek:  Holy crap Batman  :eek:

Now if that won ... you wouldn't see that in the top right corner on the old style colour of the forum.
Nice work !!

Now  :icon_scratch:  where on earth is Robin  :laughing7:

:icon_scratch: By reading the rules .... I thought ONLY 1 instrument per member per month was aloud.

Quote from rules section 4 .........
Members may submit one instrument per month.

:dontknow:

correct...sorry.

I guess I will withdraw my ZEBRA STRAT.  Lets give the blue tele a chance.

Sorry...I remembered DBU have two in one month in past years so I assumed it was still OK with the new rules.

Rules and the Rules.

My apologies for missing that as well.  I read and re-read things, blindly missing what was written.  My bad.

I'll modify the submission immediately.

Holy schnike! I think I know which one of these comely cases of consumate craftsmanship I'm chosing! Na na na na na na na Dah Duhhhh.

:icon_scratch: HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM !!

That last guitar .... IS NOT OWNER FINISHED
By ... jrybicki  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17694.0

Quote from OP
November's contest will be for "Owner Finished" instruments.

Yep  :icon_thumright: spotted it after putting here. Oh well thats covered then  :icon_biggrin:

The voting thread has been restarted from scratch - due to software limitations in the bbs package Warmoth is using.

Thanks for being the eyes and ears of the contest!

I sense no malice or wanting to cheat on Joe's behalf.  Instead I think we have an eager contestant that was anxious to get a last minute entry in the contest.

Joe - hang in there, your time will come (in Febuary). 

December is the 2nd chance contest for runner's up (2nd and 3rd place winners).
January is the "Guitar of the Year" contest
February 2012 will be the Warmoth/Pro finished contest once gain.

OK I'm really struggling which guitar to vote for.  :sad1:
Why ….
Only one has a decent write-up & I can only find two in the builds or completed sections.
Numbers 1 & 2, I have found posts for, building or finished posts about.
Others I CAN'T locate.

So can someone please put some links to these other builds or more spec's about them.
Before I decide who gets my vote.
Thanks
:help: a confused Updown

Edit ... Found Marko's spec's

Many thanks  :icon_thumright:
Now off to cast my vote ..... All the best to you all  :hello2:

Needs a Turbo Deluxe Floyd said:
The Tele has got righty tuners on it as well.  Interesting.

a case of run what you brung....easier to tune to...not as far a reach. :eek:ccasion14:

Back