Non-pickguard single coil installation

JTC111

I'm trying to figure out how to install single coils on a strat body without installing a pickguard. I know some people just use wood screws to anchor the pickup in the cavity, but I don't want to go that route.

I have an idea but I'm not sure if it's a good one. I"m thinking if I can find a bushing that's threaded on the inside, I could drill holes in the body and glue them in. Then put springs on bolts that fit the threads. Then the pickups would be secure in the body cavity and only the adjusting bolts would be visible.

Has anyone done it this way? If you have, and you know what hardware works, I'd love to know. And if there are problems with this kind of installation ...or a better way to do it... please share what you know.

Thanks so much.
Jim

It has been done a number of times, but I can only find this thread as an example. Perhaps that'll help. I think if you go down-thread a ways, he identifies the inserts he uses. If you have any questions about installing them, it's fairly straightforward so just ask. I'm sure there a number of guys with advice on that.

Thanks. That thread was just what I needed. I found the threaded inserts on Amazon. I also found black screws but I'll need the inserts in hand to estimate the screw length I'll need. But I think this is going to work very nicely.

The threaded inserts you speak of are threaded inside for machine screws (6-32 to be specific) AND outside to bite into the side walls of a properly drilled hole.  If you use a piece of wood as a height spacer (trial and error here to get it right) you will have great resonance and coupling to the body.

I have some inserts left over from my Soloist build if you need them.  Lemme know.

Back