Noiseless Single Coils and RW/RP

rspst14

I have a Warmoth Strat that I'm building with three noiselsss single coils from three different manufacturers.  Normally, one would use a RW/RP pickup in the middle position to make them hum-cancelling when combined with another pickup.  Is that still the case with noiseless pickups?  I'm a little confused as to whether or not this rule still applies.  Thanks.

Are these singles or humbuckers?
If you have two humbuckers, it won't matter if the pickups are RWRP from each other or not. If you have two singles, it will. If you have a single and a humbucker, you will not be able to humcancel.

They are single coils.  One is a Lace Hot Gold Sensor, one is a Bill Lawrence 280S, and one is a Kinman Blues.  They are noiseless, but I don't think they're constructed like traditional humbuckers.  If all three are noiseless on their own, they aren't going to hum in the 2 and 4 positions.  But I'm unclear as to whether or not I'm going to have phase issues, and if I do, I don't know if I can correct it just by swapping the hot and ground. 

rspst14 said:
They are single coils.  One is a Lace Hot Gold Sensor, one is a Bill Lawrence 280S, and one is a Kinman Blues.  They are noiseless, but I don't think they're constructed like traditional humbuckers.  If all three are noiseless on their own, they aren't going to hum in the 2 and 4 positions.  But I'm unclear as to whether or not I'm going to have phase issues, and if I do, I don't know if I can correct it just by swapping the hot and ground.

Noiseless usually means split or stacked humbuckers.

rspst14 said:

The simple answer is you're not going to have phasing issues, so don't worry about it. Wire them as if they were humbuckers. They may or may not be constructed that way, but it doesn't matter.

If they're truly noiseless, they're humbuckers of some sort, but the manufacturers are loathe to describe them that way or use that term out of fear of association. Humbuckers have a history/legacy that doesn't sit well with some players. Technology has improved substantially in that area though, so there's an ongoing effort to use the term "noiseless" vs. "humbucking" to get away from the bias against that design in some quarters.

The reason to use RWRP pickups in the center slot was to create a "humbucking" situation. If your pickups are already humbucking or otherwise quiet, there's no reason to play those games.

Back