No microtilt = need shims?

cromulent

I placed the order for my first build! 

Since Warmoth doesn't seem to have any sort of microtilt system, should I plan on needing neck shims?  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Most of the threads I've seen here where a neck has mounted up at an angle that didn't match the body / bridge geometry were either the result of a misunderstanding of component geometries (e.g. the impact of recessing a bridge into a body), or of a fit problem in the neck mounting.

In the unlikely case you need to make angle adjustments, stewmac has a variety of angled shims.

I have built over 10 warmoth instruments for myself and others.  Never needed a shim.

It is unlikely you will need a shim. See previous answers if you do.

TBurst Std said:
The concept for the Micro-Tilt is so unneeded, even the F quit doing it LOL

That said some Fenders do still have Micro tilts. Some three bolt necks and they certainly sell the parts for 3 and 4 bolt micro tilts.

So how do you conclude that even the F quit doing it?

stratamania said:

TBurst Std said:

That said some Fenders do still have Micro tilts. Some three bolt necks and they certainly sell the parts for 3 and 4 bolt micro tilts.

I meant as the default method.

TBurst Std said:
stratamania said:

TBurst Std said:

I meant as the default method.

Ah okay...

I think I've shimmed all of mine, but I do like tiny frets, and an action so low I can use willpower alone to fret notes.

When using hardtail bridges that are flat-mounted, its probably more common to have an issue with the Neck angle *.    With Tremolo bridges people generally seem to have fewer issues.

The standard neck pocket is intended for tremolo bridge that floats just above the top of the body.  Hardtail bridges will generally be lower height as they are are flat mounted on the body.  When installing these I sometimes need to re-level the neck pocket to get the ideal alignment.

* Edited to use the term: Neck angle.

Had to use a shim in my USA Lonestar/conversion neck(that has a little bit deeper pocket though and factory tilt). No shim needed in my Mex. body.

JohnnyHardtail said:
When using hardtail bridges that are flat-mounted, its probably more common to have an issue with the neck alignment.    With Tremolo bridges people generally seem to have fewer issues.

The standard neck pocket is intended for tremolo bridge that floats just above the top of the body.  Hardtail bridges will generally be lower height as they are are flat mounted on the body.  When installing these I sometimes need to re-level the neck pocket to get the ideal alignment.

I think you are describing neck angle and pitch rather than alignment. Lateral adjustments would refer to aligning a neck or its alignment e.g. so that the outer E and e are not too close to the fretboard edge at one side or too far in at the other.

stratamania said:
JohnnyHardtail said:
When using hardtail bridges that are flat-mounted, its probably more common to have an issue with the neck alignment.    With Tremolo bridges people generally seem to have fewer issues.

Right - I mean tilting the neck forward or backward in the direction of the relief.  Not laterally.

I've only ever tilt systems on my casters so just wasn't sure if it made sense to get some shims ahead of time.

I think you are describing neck angle and pitch rather than alignment. Lateral adjustments would refer to aligning a neck or its alignment e.g. so that the outer E and e are not too close to the fretboard edge at one side or too far in at the other.

Just one more from the peanut gallery...
The only time I've ever needed to shim a neck was when I added a humbucker mounting ring for aesthetic purposes. I had to raise the strings for clearance and as a result needed a .5° tilt to keep the action  even.

stratamania said:

Right - I should has written "neck angle".  I will try to use the correct words so I can be more clear. 

Neck angle, Micro tilt, neck shims, neck pocket leveling.. etc.  They are all aimed at solving the same issue.

Bear Brower said:
Just one more from the peanut gallery...
The only time I've ever needed to shim a neck was when I added a humbucker mounting ring for aesthetic purposes. I had to raise the strings for clearance and as a result needed a .5° tilt to keep the action  even.

An easier approach would be to take the humbucker ring and sand off the bottom to lower it with sandpaper on a flat surface.

stratamania said:
An easier approach would be to take the humbucker ring and sand off the bottom to lower it with sandpaper on a flat surface.

It was part of the adventure. I completely broke down refinished, rebuilt and partially redesigned an old Matsumoku guitar I had since I was 14. The action ended up better than it originally was, so I'm glad I did it.

Bear Brower said:
stratamania said:

It was part of the adventure. I completely broke down refinished, rebuilt and partially redesigned an old Matsumoku guitar I had since I was 14. The action ended up better than it originally was, so I'm glad I did it.

The adventure of course is well worth it  :icon_thumright:

Did not need a shim for my two builds.

But there is no shame in a shim, Fender used shims in every guitar they shipped pre-CBS, not because the neck needed a shim but because they wanted a better break angle over the saddles. It's why Leo Fender invented the micro-tilt in the first place. Some boutique builders like Ron Kirn do the same thing.

Back