Nitro with Pigment Liner Nankin

NonsenseTele

Epic Member
Hello there people!
Long story cut:
I've commissioned an acoustic guitar with a brazilian luthier.
Nobody did the pickguard alike the J200 with pearl inlay, everybody did that crappy cheap painted one, except a guy in Greece (MV Custom Guitars).
With the send drawing with measures -> then he does a mock up -> send a drawing -> we print and adjust.....
It went a little different than we though, nothing that couldn't be solved in a good way.

The "but" thing is that we have a 1/16" x 1/4" space that the pickguard didn't cover the rosette.

It's a nitro finish, nobody has a nitro touch pen, as it's flammable, nobody ships to Brazil neighter.

By now, I'm thinking in my pigment liner pens with are made of nankin (China ink), so anybody here knows if this be ok or will react with nitro and fuckup everything?

Pens:
caneta-nankin-pigment-liner-conjunto-6-unidades---staedtler_1_1200.jpg

The guitar and the area to cover I've attached here.
Thanks for those who can help!
Cheers everybody!

Attachments

• 20180526_224233[1].jpg
    20180526_224233[1].jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 20180525_204218[1].jpg
    20180525_204218[1].jpg
    873 KB · Views: 408
Hi Fernando,
To be honest my first reaction would be to just leave it like that. You have the gap between the pickguard and the neck, nothing to do about that I guess. Covering up the rosette would just draw attention to it not being intentional. And if you really want to cover it, I think I might glue in a piece of ebony veneer using a glue that won't eat the nitro. I don't think I would want to do something irreversible. It looks far to nice as it is.
René

ByteFrenzy said:
...Covering up the rosette would just draw attention to it not being intentional...

Yep, what he said. If someone's looking closely enough to see that there is a gap between the pickguard and the fingerboard, then I think they'd expect to see the continuation of the rosette.

ByteFrenzy said:
...if you really want to cover it, I think I might glue in a piece of ebony veneer using a glue that won't eat the nitro.
Sorry Bro, I was so enamored of your guitar, I forgot your question! Like ByteFrenzy said, if it was mine, I'd definitely leave it as is, but if it really bugs you, I think the ebony strip option would be your best bet.

Well, thanks guys! these are actually a great idea!

Unfortunately, my eyes are bad where they should be good and good where they should be bad...
This is the kind of thing that is irrelevant on a guitar and I should pay no attention at all, but I do....

BTW, I fixed the image link of the pens...
and (don't) say to the moderator that if you spell wrong "fuckup" the sensor doesn't get it! :D

German Spruce
Ovangkol with Indian Rosewood back (after finish Ovangkol looks way better than people would think)
24.75" scale
Walnut/Maple/Cocobolo neck
Ebony fretboard

Quite different thatn Gibbo, but sounds good and they say after 1 year it sounds much better!

Attachments

• 20180527_192248[1].jpg
    20180527_192248[1].jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 20180527_192235[1].jpg
    20180527_192235[1].jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 20180527_192311[1].jpg
    20180527_192311[1].jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 362
That's a beautiful guitar, enjoy it.

This is the type of thing that drive craftsmen crazy.  If I do a job for someone, they are usually thrilled with the results.  I used to point out all the things that I wasn't happy with.  Then, I realized that if I didn't point out the things I considered flaws, the client would never detect or perceive them as flaws.  Sometimes it nearly kills me because I want to say something, but I have learned to just let it go.

But, as Cagey says, the heart wants what the heart wants.  So if you need to fix this issue, good luck.  I hope it goes well.  But please consider leaving it be, because that is a fine looking guitar as it stands right now.

Back