NGD - A sonic blue Strat and new beater acoustic

jay4321

Vacation starts now and 1 guitar being born and one arriving tomorrow.

Someone will ask for specs, it's alder SSL2s with a '59. Contoured heel, good hipshot locking tuners, wolfgang profile, Gotoh 510. Of course two knobs thing - seriously I know people like the stock way but I learned on an SG-style, and early on my hand claimed the space where the Vol 1 sits on Strats. It has to be this way.

This by the way is how I see a "normal" Strat. My last one I tried a dozen in the bridge and 59 just pairs well with the neck, it's not a smooth transition like I used to aim for. They work together and cover 100% of what I like in a Strat. Actually a 3-way switch and no middle would have been more my style but it looks cooler with the middle. I have a dummy single I'll save for another one I'm working on.

The beater...let's just say I worked awfully hard this past year. Present to self

Attachments

• GYJL3444.JPG
    GYJL3444.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 194
  • j-45 j.JPG
    j-45 j.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 139
Unlike my situation with electrics I only ever really rolled with one acoustic. My old Yamaha has served me faithfully and punched far above its weight for many years but it’s time to move on.

Good on. I rewarded my own hard work last year with an OM28, now I'm eyeing something from the custom shop, or maybe an older Martin.

Yes I just thinned out a bunch of projects and gear. I’m down to one amp head a 5150 50w, Mesa 2x12 and axe fix 3. 1 bass, 1 acoustic.

Electrics I now own I think ten but all under $1k, the pricey stuff gone. It took a while to mentally process it but a used 2020 Epiphone “61 SG (with a pickup swap and some work) has become my all-time favorite guitar and wound up with three new Epi LPs including two moderns with same neck profile. It’s a noticeably flatter profile than the Gibbys which many folks would surely hate but feels like it was built for my hand.

But on the acoustic side there was nothing I could find better than the J-45. Tried the Epiphone version, a handful of Martins, a  very respectable Eastman, and a couple cheaper versions of the 45. one had walnut back and fretboard which I liked a lot and nearly bought it for $1000 less, was different but excellent sounding. The two J45s might have been 2% better sounding if that but looked cooler so I went for it.

Hopefully new Warmoth Strat works out but have another coming right behind it.

Back