Newbie advice needed

Tonyvenn

Hello all...

I need some real, "no BS" advice about Warmoth stuff.

I've been aware of them for quite some time, but have been reluctant to buy.

I found this forum...and I'm hoping for some real-world advice by customers.

This is what I'm after...

I want to make a replica of Geddy Lee's seafoam green Jazz bass.

The trick is...the neck.

Not only is it the Geddy "thin C"...but it's got pearl block inlays.

So...this is where I want some help from you warmothers---

1) can they do a Geddy neck? Like...really, not just a Jazz neck...but an exact copy of that thin, super playable neck.

2) are their necks EXACT? I don't wanna burn through a bunch of money just to discover their necks and bodies are "almost" like Fender...but you can tell it's not.

I want to do a build...but do it right the first time.

If Warmoth ISNT 100% accurate, then I'll just move on and try to build using Fender parts on eBay.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!

Tony

n00b! Why you no read the instruction header for the gallery?  :dontknow:

W's stuff is preferred within this community, so I doubt you are gonna get an objective response. If you put calipers on every length, width, and thickness and compared, I'm sure you'd find some discrepancies. Some of the differences don't affect function or play-ability, those that do are improvements. The stuff that has gotta be exact, is; the W necks fit the F bodies (and vice-versa) like hand-in-glove. I've built more than a few "half-moths" and never had any compatability issues. But since, I have peddled off my Fender instruments (and halfners) because I'd rather play Warmoth. W has so many more options when it comes to contours and special spec's and their combinations. Fender is just cookie-cutter boring, in my opinion. So, if you're hung up on building and playing exact Fender stuff, then get all the parts for a Geddy Lee Jazz bass off the stratosphere and re-assemble it. But if you got a hunger for something that isn't just a re-hash of the same-ol'-same-'ol, then start dreamin' up the instrument YOU'D really like, and head to the showcase an' start huntin'! (-Or the builder if $'s no object.)

Welcome to the 'boards... -if you're one of us, you'll know.  :laughing7:

Tonyvenn said:
I need some real, "no BS" advice about Warmoth stuff.

Then this is obviously not the place for unbiased advice.

Tonyvenn said:
1) can they do a Geddy neck? Like...really, not just a Jazz neck...but an exact copy of that thin, super playable neck.

Warmoth makes two Jazz bass necks; standard, and thin. Neither of them have the geometry of a Geddy Lee neck.

Tonyvenn said:
2) are their necks EXACT? I don't wanna burn through a bunch of money just to discover their necks and bodies are "almost" like Fender...but you can tell it's not.

What do you mean by "exact?" They are made by CNC, with a minimal amount of hand sanding, so tolerances are tight. However, the variability of wood, the sanding process, and the addition or exclusion of a hard finish add uncertainty to the final dimensions of parts. In terms of copying Fender, Warmoth has its own line of products different than Fender's. If you're looking for a Geddy Lee neck, you should just buy a Geddy Lee neck.

If you want a exact copy, go to the source, or pay someone to make an exact copy

Warmoth makes what they do, and the exact duplicability of that is fantastic as is the quality

but to ask for a custom, you will pay for such.

call then up and ask for the spec, if it is not what you want, keep on trucking, but do not complain before you ask

Hi again!

Thanks so far for the answers..

Just to clarify...

What I mean by "exact"...is visually. When it comes to "under the hood" stuff--parts, electronics, woods, etc...then Warmoth would be better, since you can control the quality...

After those details, it's how the instrument APPEARS that would be important. That's what I meant by---are they exact copies of body shapes, headstock shapes, etc.

I'd hate to buy a body and then compare it to a real Jazz body and you can tell by looking that it's not really...."it".

So...hopefully, that helps explain what I'm after.

The other thing...asking here on this forum is better than just emailing the Warmoth website, because their answer will always be "yes". So...I'm sure this forum will extol the virtues of Warmoth stuff over everyone else...but also be honest about any shortcomings, etc...since it's not an "official" forum.

Thanks again for the advice---I hope to get more

Tony

I have been dealing with Warmoth since the 90s
and they do not always give you an Yes answer
infact they give you the truth and a lot of the time that is NO
Every fender style body I have ever bought, I can lay against a fender and it matches
I have only bought Strat and Teles however

Currently I am making a Toronado copy an I did call warmoth and they said No they did not make an exact copy

So I ordered a blank and am doing it myself

PS, call their toll free number and get your answer immediately, Warmoth is not afraid to answer the phone and get the answer for you. they are a great company

Tonyvenn said:
Hi again!

Thanks so far for the answers..

Just to clarify...

What I mean by "exact"...is visually. When it comes to "under the hood" stuff--parts, electronics, woods, etc...then Warmoth would be better, since you can control the quality...

After those details, it's how the instrument APPEARS that would be important. That's what I meant by---are they exact copies of body shapes, headstock shapes, etc.

I'd hate to buy a body and then compare it to a real Jazz body and you can tell by looking that it's not really...."it".

So...hopefully, that helps explain what I'm after.

The other thing...asking here on this forum is better than just emailing the Warmoth website, because their answer will always be "yes". So...I'm sure this forum will extol the virtues of Warmoth stuff over everyone else...but also be honest about any shortcomings, etc...since it's not an "official" forum.

Thanks again for the advice---I hope to get more

Tony

Warmoth has a license from Fender to reproduce copyrighted shapes, so there is nothing to be worried about, aesthetically.

You should note, however, that a Warmoth neck is not going to feel like a Geddy Lee neck. The neck profile is different.

It's the aesthetics that worried me.

Fender is so copied...and I know about Warmoth's licencing...

I just wanted to be sure they're doin' em bang-on and not "inspired by" type stuff.

The neck profile is something I can live with. No worries there.

That satisfies me---thanks everyone for the help.

Next stop---seafoam green Jazz, maple neck with pearl block inlays just like "Clockwork Angels"!!

Tony

I think body shape should be spot on to a F made product.
If you are concerned about the neck shape, have Warmoth build a maple neck with the inlays that trip your trigger in a boatneck or fatback contour, then carve & shape the neck the way you want it before you finish it.
Good luck with your build.
:rock-on:

Hbom said:
If you are concerned about the neck shape, have Warmoth build a maple neck with the inlays that trip your trigger in a boatneck or fatback contour, then carve & shape the neck the way you want it before you finish it.

Boatneck and Fatback contours are for guitar necks.

line6man said:
Hbom said:

And dum dug goes to the head of the class again. :doh:

Sorry.

But wouldn't the same strategy apply with a Bass contours?
Buy a larger one and shape to fit your taste?

Hbom said:
line6man said:
Hbom said:

And dum dug goes to the head of the class again. :doh:

Sorry.

But wouldn't the same strategy apply with a Bass contours?
Buy a larger one and shape to fit your taste?

You could certainly sand down a thick neck, but you do have to be careful not to sand into the truss rod and stiffening rods. For the time and effort involved, (And potentially cost, if you pay a luthier.) it would be easier to just have someone make a custom neck. Either that, or grab a Geddy Lee neck.

Back