New video: The Green Guitar is Alive

Hey Aaron, don’t we all have Warmoth’s channel on YouTube Notification and watch your videos immediately? :D

I’m kind of amazed how “Army Green” that turned out. It’s Sherwood Green, right? It’s very interesting how much different it looks than the Warmoth Sherwood Green.

Aaron, did you use 500k pots or 250k pots with the JB? It's also by far my favorite humbucker and I have found it to be super good on both 250k and 500k.
The JB can definitely take on a different personality based on 500k or 250k pots. And over on the Seymour Duncan forum, members have put basically any and all magnets into the 59 and they all work to customize the sound.

Hey Aaron, don’t we all have Warmoth’s channel on YouTube Notification and watch your videos immediately? :D

I’m kind of amazed how “Army Green” that turned out. It’s Sherwood Green, right? It’s very interesting how much different it looks than the Warmoth Sherwood Green.

I know, right?

Totally different color.

The JB can definitely take on a different personality based on 500k or 250k pots. And over on the Seymour Duncan forum, members have put basically any and all magnets into the 59 and they all work to customize the sound.
Interesting! How would you describe the difference? I just noticed I've always only used it on 250k and it's sooo heavy already.

In that spirit RIP Jeff Beck.

Interesting! How would you describe the difference? I just noticed I've always only used it on 250k and it's sooo heavy already.

In that spirit RIP Jeff Beck.
For any pickup, going from no load, to 1M, 500k, 250k, 125k etc. of total load reduces the resonant peak of the pickup. (We are accustomed to vintage Fender style pickups with dual 250K, so 125K total load if a tone control is selected, which tames the brightness of them. You can do no loads or 1M and it’ll really increase the cut of the tone).

On the JB, the resonant peak is that somewhat chirpy attack that you either love or hate about the JB. If you want a little more of that going to a 500K will bring it out, if that’s something you don’t like about the JB, going from 500K to 250K will smooth it out.

pick-up-frequency-response-with-load.gif

Last edited:
I think you need that peak. It’s what makes the jb the chicken of the guitar world. It goes with everything.

Beautifully done guitar Aaron!!!! Really like the color and layout of the controls. Never really thought about the angled holes through the body instead of the tail piece at the bridge, but that looks great! Excellent work!

Will you be featuring that guitar in the Guitar of the Month?

Beautifully done guitar Aaron!!!! Really like the color and layout of the controls. Never really thought about the angled holes through the body instead of the tail piece at the bridge, but that looks great! Excellent work!

Will you be featuring that guitar in the Guitar of the Month?

Naw. I read the fine print: Employees of Warmoth and their families may not enter.

Gotta say, I laughed when you said how you don't like regular Tele controls. Same here, the switch is too damn close to the volume knob. My first guitar was a Strat so that's my context for judging every other electric I have.

Gotta say, I laughed when you said how you don't like regular Tele controls. Same here, the switch is too damn close to the volume knob. My first guitar was a Strat so that's my context for judging every other electric I have.

For my offset Tele build (still ongoing), I got a plate with an angled switch hole and a repositioned volume hole. Soooooo glad I did. Pinky finger fits in there no sweat.

For my offset Tele build (still ongoing), I got a plate with an angled switch hole and a repositioned volume hole. Soooooo glad I did. Pinky finger fits in there no sweat.
I like to flip the plate on a Tele, the one with the angled switch would be even better, I may need to try one.

Regarding the pickups; I've found the '59 in the neck position to be kind of muddy.
I installed a Jazz in the neck position of a Floyd Rose equipped, alder body Super-Strat and it was too thin & bright, so I replaced it with a Dimarzio Air Nortion and that was better. Took the Jazz and put it in the neck position of my LP-style guitar with mahogany body & neck, & Tunamatic/stop tailpiece. It's perfect in that guitar, and much better sounding than the '59 it replaced. So I think it really depends on the particular guitar (wood, bridge, scale length) as to whether or not the pickup sounds right.

Regarding the pickups; I've found the '59 in the neck position to be kind of muddy.
I installed a Jazz in the neck position of a Floyd Rose equipped, alder body Super-Strat and it was too thin & bright, so I replaced it with a Dimarzio Air Nortion and that was better. Took the Jazz and put it in the neck position of my LP-style guitar with mahogany body & neck, & Tunamatic/stop tailpiece. It's perfect in that guitar, and much better sounding than the '59 it replaced. So I think it really depends on the particular guitar (wood, bridge, scale length) as to whether or not the pickup sounds right.

For sure.

My approach to building has always been to mix-and-match until you find a combination with a total greater than the sum of the parts, then stop.

Still, I've never had luck with the Jazz. It always sounds bright, thin, and sterile to me. Admittedly, I've never tried it in an LP.

Back