New Video: Solid vs Chambered vs Thinline shootout!

Nice one!
I could not tell - but I'm in the shop currently and it's kinda noisy

Maybe I was lucky (and I have good headphones) but I got them right. I thought A sounded a bit more yangly playing clean, B had (a lot) less volume, and C sounded very solid :) I have never thought about a chambered guitar before, but I actually preferred it here.

The different builds were in the order I heard. I was listening on headphones and I do have some chambered as well as solid bodies. I would also agree to the observations in the video. The differences are slight, but they are there. Possibly dependent on the style of music, someone might go for one over the other, someone else it may make little to no difference to.

Sorry about all the low end thumping during the narration parts. I'm used to concrete floors. Still getting used to the suspended wooden floors in my new digs.

i think the solid had the best sustain, but mostly you can feel the hollow vibrating against your heart

Loved the new video, great job as always, thanks for going to the trouble once again.

To me they sound different to each other. The demo uses a one piece maple neck which typically adds a mid resonance of its own. The Thinline has a full sound in the mids, but some of that probably comes from the neck. I look at the comparison in that context, rather than being an absolute.

Great video. Difference was subtle. I’ll say they sound the same while the solid body has ever so slightly more authority while the routed bodies had more air if that makes any sense.

Cool video - subtle for sure.

Aaron you ever think about making these shootouts semi quantitative? Like looking at frequency response curves, etc?

Huh, I got it wrong!

Both of my chambered bodies are less sparkly and bright compared to Mt 3rd solid one.

They also are a bit softer in the low end in comparison.

It's more a feel thing than anything else for me. The less solid, the "softer" the feel is to me.
But then, is that fromm the chambering, or just the fact that the wood is 25% lighter?

@aarontunes , how about cutting a portion off the solid one to have it weigh the same as the chambered, and then the thinking?

That'll show if it's the weight or the chambering.

Ok, I just wanna see more videos.
You got me.
Lol

Excellent video, thanks Aaron. My takeaway is that the differences are too small to make me have a preference, tone-wise.

I heard the difference and guessed correctly (with a 50/50 chance) but like everyone is saying it's definitely subtle.

Back